Volleyball's Return

Placing the last piece of bread ontop of his sandwich, Steven was ready to have his breakfast. He was in a happy mood knowing he could have a little break of the past few days. Constant arguments, nervous reactions and unbearable stress was getting to him, and having some time of peace and quiet surely did him justice of making him relax and feel much better. He sat down in front of the table and began to eat his breakfast, taking small bites as he thought of what awaited him today.

He attempted to think positively, and to bury himself in such thoughts helped him believe that this day.. yes, this day in particular, was going to be perfect. This day was the exact day he could finally rest. And the delicious taste of cheese and lettuce soothed both his tongue's taste buds, and the positive state of mind he was building.

Wondering if she was making the right decision, Volleyball paced herself towards the temple. She was eager to ask her friend, Steven, if she could perhaps enroll in Little Homeschool. She had seen all of the other gems learning so many new things and having so much fun— which is what initially peaked her curiosity towards the school. Once arriving upon the temple she elegantly made her way up the stairs, and stood in front of the door. She hesitated for a moment before softly knocking precisely three times on the door. "Steven?" Her soft voice echoed.

Steven, stuck in focus nearly choked once he heard Volleyball's voice. It's been long since he last saw her, and back then it wasn't for a good reason. He hoped to God this time she wasn't having Pink Diamond issues again. He left his breakfast and washed his hands on the kitchen sink quickly before making his way to the front door. He opened it and forced a smile, "Hey, Volleyball! Long time no see!" he nervously said, having a little crack on his voice.

"Hello, Steven!" She exclaimed, holding her hands behind her back. "Sorry if I am interrupting anything," she tilted her head to the side, "I just wanted to ask you something." Her smile beamed as she looked down at the boy. She could tell he was disgruntled by her presence, most likely due to the occurrences of the last time they associated with one another. She paid no mind to it, though.

But Steven did. He was finally able to leave the past days of outbursts behind, or so he thought until Volleyball arrived. However, she looked happy to see him, and he wanted to show her that he also wanted her here. No matter what, he was still Steven Universe. He was here to help gems and humans alike with any burden. "Sure! What do you need?" he asked. Nervous, but hoping for the best that it isn't anything wrong. He didn't wish to make the Pearl feel uncomfortable, and did his best to hide the shaken part of his voice.

"Hmm," Volleyball pondered as she swiftly tread inside of Steven's home. "Well," she inquired as she turned around to face him, "I was thinking about joining your Little Homeschool thing!" You could tell she was slightly nervous by asking this, her voice breaking many times as she spoke. She still managed to keep it light and soft though, and were to never miss a beat. "I just want to experience something new," she grinned.

Steven's eyes followed Volleyball's figure as his stress slowly left his body, he was glad to know she was interested in his school and not anything about healing, or problems of any kind (specifically involving Pink Diamond). "That's great! I'm glad you wanna try something new! You can start today!" Steven said happily, clearly his tone was different, and less nervous than before.

"Today?" She repeated after him. "That was quick!" She giggled quietly, holding her hand over her mouth. "I expected the process to be... hm, well— longer, like most things!" She motioned towards her eye and giggled again, hinting that the healing process wasn't going as fast as she had hoped. "Today is okay," she stood silent for a moment, "what do I do to get enrolled?"

Steven chuckled nervously, slightly cringing, he didn't find the eye thing funny at all. He only felt guilty, for something he hadn't done. But shoving those feelings aside, he wanted to focus on Volleyball and her becoming a student in Little Homeschool. "Nothing! Just follow me to Little Homeworld and we'll go and see if we could put you in a class!" he showed a broad smile, and performed a small gesture with his right hand.