Season 8 Episode 4: The Siege.

(General Harford POV)

"We've made it, God bless the soldiers in Red!" I cried. We were finally here, after weeks of marching, after weeks of fighting skirmishes, pitched battles and firing Artillery upon enemy positions too well fortified for the infantry to handle alone, we made it to Lagashizar. The mighty walls of the enemy city was infront of us at last, though most of the wall was still intact and was still impossible to assail by the infantry without Artillery support or accepting losses, some portions of the wall has already been taken down by the brave airmen of the Royal airforce and by the soldiers of the Sunken City who had been responsible for piloting the zeppelin sent her a few days prior.

"Colonel, have the Artillery crews set up here, I also want Artillery positioned up on those hills over there and even more guns to the east, I want to bambard this walls with as much Artillery as possible." I ordered.
I was eager, this is the moment that the soldiers had been waiting for this whole time, this is where our misery will end and when this is over we can return to the Sunken City.

Colonel Wilks swiftly gave me answer
"Yes William, I'll see to it that it is done!" He said

Colonel Wilks then took a pair of Lancers from the unit, and togheter they road down the desert landscape, bringing word to the Artillery crews to quickly unload and position themselves so that the siege may begin.

As for the pretext of my orders, Artillery pieces were positioned all along the perimeter of the enemy city, I intended to bombard the enemy city, subjecting it to a merciless Artillery barrage that I have every intention of using to soften up the catmen within the city, use it to disrupt they're formations and cause chaos, but mainly to flush enemy soldiers and cavalry out into the open, this way we can make use of our superior firepower without having to commit to what would be a fruitless assault up the curtain walls.

As I witnessed a dozen Artillery crews taking up their positions to the East and to the set of hills to our right flank, and as 17 pieces were set up just a few feet ahead of me, I knew that this would be the deciding moment, this would be the final hour, this would be the unwanted ending of the war, in meaningless bloodshed and horror, where soldiers from both sides are turned into nothing more then meat upon which could be used to feed the furnace of endless fighting.

The Artillery, the Horsemen and the Red Coats I had brought with me were tired and wearysome, they all desired one thing and that was to see an ending to this war and return to the safety and security of the Sunken City. But until the catmen refuge to see reason, then I'm afraid the men will have no choice but to take up arms and fight, not just for the sake of the Sunken City nor for the sake of ending the war. It was because this men, soldiers from each one of the Regiments knew that they would be fighting here today.
This were soldiers who knew each other and are more then just mere soldiers, they were more then just men at arms serving the high Oligarchy back home. This men were veterans, they were brothers, a family connected by discipline, fighting, and strict regimental command.

Red Coats from the 10th Regiment of foot were the first ones to stand watch as the Artillery was preparing to bombard the enemy positions.
Officers walked around and inbetween the soldiers, watching over the rank and file of the soldiers, one of the officers shouted
“Fix bayonets!”

The Red Coats complied with orders, they emmidiatelly started to unseath and they brandished their bayonets, and as the soldiers plugged them on, the soldiers had plugged them at the same time, creating a loud clicking sound as thousands of soldie...

The Red Coats complied with orders, they emmidiatelly started to unseath and they brandished their bayonets, and as the soldiers plugged them on, the soldiers had plugged them at the same time, creating a loud clicking sound as thousands of soldiers had unexpectedly plugged their Bayonets.

The sound could be heard miles away, it was so loud and so many soldiers had done it that even the archers and soldiers stationed upon the walls were intimidated by the sight before them. Tens of thousands of Red Coats were now ready to start besieging the enemy city and I will not stop until they either surrender or I take this place by storm.

The soldiers were not moving yet, I had not given an order for them to start an assault.
But I had given them an order to pitch camp and make ready for the siege.
Reinforcements were not coming to the desert city's aid, all locals tribes and villages had a long lasting resentment for Lagashizar and what they had done to obtain as much material wealth as possible, even as the cost and expense of their own people and soldiers.

We were facing an enemy and a city state that seeks its independence through bloodshed, steel, fire, and toil, in any othercase, this would just be another Falcon Haven military expedition, but this is reality. This is now going to be day to day, because you see this is not only the end, this is the norm. This will be the day to day fight for thousands in the near future... And we, the good guys, were the ones trying to break into the city.

Overhead, I could see the clear skies of the Dreamlands, it was dawn. The early morning wasn't something ideal for an assault especially if we want to take the catmen by surprise, however, to spite this I still want to go forward with my plans. It would be up to the Artillery to break the enemy defenses now, and it would be up to the soldiers in Red to finish it.

I whispered
“I pray to God that this war will be over with, so that we may spill no more blood.”

And in response, our Artillery exploded to life.

Within moments of this opening barrage of Artillery, I could hear the shells landing and hitting the walls, forming massive holes as the massive super structure of envelopment began to break and crumble.
The catmen on the walls fled, rushing down the stairs and catwalks in order to reach the ground before the walls crumbled.

They knew full well they couldn't use the walls for defense, but still, there were other catmen who thought otherwise.
A group of archers rushed over and stood atop some of the rubble that had been pilling up and as the 100 strong detachment of archers stood upon the walls, they drew their bows and their commander shouted
"Ready, loose!”

The Arrows flew across the newly created battlefront, soon, I knew that pitched battle would begin
“Hold the siege lines!” I ordered