just drive

Your POV

The door closes and Sophia opens the passenger door to her car that was still running. You sit and buckle up, the tears have stopped but you've become numb. No thoughts came to your head, Sophia kept talking but the TV static in your head blocked out what she was saying. The car lurched to a stop when she pulled into the driveway. You pick your head up and go inside, passing the kitchen and living room, slowly walking to your room. It didn't feel like walking, it felt like floating almost, like you were in a dream. Like none of this was real.

You push open the bedroom door and lay on the bed in your clothes, shoes and all. Burying your face into the pillows the tears come back, but this time it's a thunderstorm. A soft knock on the door makes you turn towards it to see Shannon poking her head in. You roll on your back and cover your face with your hands.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Shannon sits on the edge of the bed.

You hastily shake your head no and she sighs in response.

"Do you want me to stay or leave you be?"

Between sharp inhales you manage to say "S-sta-ay" and she nods. She stands from the bed and grabs pajamas from your drawers and kneels next to the bed.

"Come put these on, you'll feel better." she holds up the clothes and you sit up, putting them on.

She walks to the bathroom and wets a washcloth, wiping your makeup off for you. You curl back into the comforter, making sure to lay on the opposite side of where he slept. Shannon joins you in bed and lays next to you, rubbing your back as the sobs slow and you drift off to sleep.

...

Your eyes open to an empty room, the blinds wide open and the sun shining on your face. A smile doesn't come over your face, your thoughts immediately resume from where they were last night. Absentmindedly you check your phone, only to feel a pit in your stomach at the sight of a blank screen. Every piece of you wants to scream, cry, fight, sleep, all at once. Your thoughts overwhelm you to the point of panic. Pulling the blankets off you grab your keys and rush down the stairs, passing the girls in the kitchen.

"Where are you going?" Sara says as you bolt past.

"Let her go, she needs to clear her mind." Sophia reassures her.

You push the door closed, hop in the car, and leave, driving wherever the road takes you. Time passes and you don't care, the ride was silent. A special place comes into mind, and you instinctively go there.

...

A few hours of driving brings you to a side road that looks like a dead-end. You used to come here in high school when you wanted to escape the turmoil at home. Placing the car in park you step onto the gravel path and walk for a mile or so. The rocks become larger and start to climb upwards until they become one large cliff. Waves crashed on the rocks below, and the entire skyline was ocean. As you gaze into the sapphire sea, a pack of dolphins catch your attention. You want them play together and swim into the depths before disappearing, causing you to smile.

Slowly, you allow the thought of Shanye enter your mind again. Meeting his parents was so special, not to mention the most fun you've had in quite a while. The way he looked at you made your heart sing, the way he said your name made you feel warm and fuzzy.

Why would he forget to take that picture down? Was it an accident? I don't know what to think.

A growl comes from your stomach so you take one last glance at the ocean and leave. The drive back was better, you turned on the radio and sang your favorite songs. An old burger joint looks inviting so you pull off to eat. Sitting at a booth you order some fries, watch the cooks shuffle around the kitchen, and gaze out the window. Someone taps your shoulder and you turn to see who it is.