Before You Go | Obi-Wan Kenobi

•here have another quarantine update since school is cancelled till April 24th and I have a whole lot of free time to write :)
•also strap in cause this is a long one, i can't help myself

———————

The cheering of the crowd spread around you was overwhelming as you stood on the steps of the Capitol of Naboo, rose petals falling through the air and landing in your hair as you smiled at the thousands of people huddled in the courtyard. The celebration currently being held was for the defeat of the Trade Federation's oppression of Naboo, Queen Amidala had fought bravely for her people alongside your fellow Jedi Qui-Gon Jinn and his padawan, Obi-Wan Kenobi. The younger padawan had been your friend for years, having first met him when you trained together when you were just children and you had been inseparable since then. Over the years you had grown close to the blue eyed Jedi, realizing your feelings had been a little more than a crush only recently and all you had wanted to do was tell him. But you knew the code forbade any sort of relationships with anyone, Jedi or not, and that was enough to make you bury your feelings under layers and layers of insecurities and try to forget about them.

But when Obi-Wan had returned from the hanger without his master by his side, chest heaving as he panted while his eyes scanned the throne room as if he was looking for someone, you knew something was wrong. And when he had finally saw you across the room, eyes wide as you took in his grief stricken form, you rushed to pull him into a hug, Padme ushering everyone out of the room so he could have his privacy and cry if need be. And he did, he sobbed into your shoulder as all you could do was hold the broken man in your arms, heart aching as his sobs came out in strangled cries as he clung to you. That was only a few days ago and you had yet forget it, the way he held you so tightly in his arms as your fingers ran through his short hair, a soothing gesture your mother used to do to you when you cried on her shoulder. But today as the rose petals fell from the sky and the thunderous applause of the crowd filled your ears, you turned to Obi-Wan who was stood beside you, azure eyes scanning the crowd before feeling you stare at his side profile and turn his gaze to you. You offered him a small smile as a white petal landed on the crown of your head, not feeling it settle into your hair from how light it was and watched as his eyes moved to your head.

"What?" You asked as your eyebrows furrowed, watching as he gave a goofy smile before reaching up to pluck the petal from your hair, fingertips grazing your forehead as he pulled back. He held the small petal in front of your face as you smiled at him while his new padawan, Anakin Skywalker, watched his new master hand the petal over to you. "You had something..." He faded away as he gestured to your hair, giving you a toothy smile as your own smile graced your face and you nodded in return. "Thanks." You held the soft petal in your hand as you turned it between your fingertips, smiling once more at him before turning your gaze to the approaching Gungan's to avoid it being too awkward. They approached Queen Amidala and she smiled brightly at them before turning to her assistant, handing a giant crystal looking ball over to the Queen, as she turned to hand the ball over to the Gungan king. He accepted it with grace as he smiled brightly, before turning and holding the object above his head and cheering, the multitude of his people in the crowd cheering when he did so. And just like that the ceremony was over, the Gungan's making their way inside the Capitol building as the Queen followed suit, her handmaidens right on her heels like always, and a few guards behind her.

You, Obi-Wan, and young Anakin followed the guards inside the building, a few other miscellaneous people trailing behind you as you three walked side by side. The anxiety of the day and the grief of losing Qui-Gon seemed to catch up with you suddenly, detaching yourself from the group making their way deeper inside the building and instead walking over to a balcony overlooking the city. The courtyard was still alive with chatter and cheers as people still stood standing around, hoping to get another glance of their Queen one more time before having to leave. You approached the railing as your pale yellow dress flowed around your ankles, being forced to wear the dress by Padme for the ceremony. You had objected at first from how much you didn't like dresses, but when she had pulled out the dress from the closet your jaw dropped. The pale yellow fabric was almost sheer from how light it was, the material coming up around your neck and extending out into a thin cape from your shoulders. The ends of the cape connected to your wrists where the silky sleeves stopped, a slit in the sleeves exposing the skin of your arms and the skirt was long enough to reach your ankles. You were in awe of the dress and had put it on eagerly, if you had to admit it you didn't mind looking better than normal on the rare occasion when you could show off.