The Past | Deacon St. John

•okay so we're just gonna pretend Deacon found Sarah NOT in the military camp, just go with it please lol

song recommendation:
ophelia, the lumineers

———————

It had been almost 2 years since you'd met him.

Deacon St. John, the rough and tough biker scouring the Earth for his wife, Sarah. You'd met him about 6 months after the outbreak, he had broke into your home thinking it was abandoned and was quite surprised to see you holding him at gunpoint. After that you, him, and his friend Boozer, had rode together and braved the world alongside one another. It took him a while to open up to you, after knowing each other for a few weeks one night he had told you about Sarah and how he had found the refugee camp that she was supposed to be at. How there were no survivors, and of how he lost all hope that his wife was alive. You remembered that night like it was yesterday, he didn't cry but you could tell his eyes watered but he looked away before he thought you couldn't see his emotions. After that, you all had found a safe house on the mountain and had turned it into a home.

You had decided to go with Deacon when he got information that Sarah was somewhere in the south, just so happening to bump into a camp of survivors who looked like they had seen rough times. Which led to the present, you and Deacon being escorted through the camp up to what looked to be a council hall, the dirt under your shoes scuffling as you walked. The camp was relatively good sized, it was an old mining town before the outbreak but the people who lived here turned it into a camp, somewhere to live and grow. It was nice to look around and see children run through the streets, jumping up on the porches set against the buildings and run across the wood to hop off and head to the next porch of the building beside it. Two people with guns would walk up and down the street and eye you two warily, you couldn't blame them though, Deacon looked pretty rough with his tattoos and biker jacket. It was a peaceful encampment, the sun setting bringing out people from their homes with you watching as they chatted with their neighbor like the world hadn't ended two years ago.

The woman, whose name was Emma you had overheard, who was escorting you both to the council hall stopped at the base of the stairs leading up to the door, turning to look at you and Deacon standing shoulder to shoulder. "Come on in, I'll take you to Sam." She smiled, you and Deacon turning to each other with the same look before following her inside. You had met the leader, Sam, an older man who seemed sweet but could kill you if you tried anything. He had sent you and Deacon to a guest house a few houses down the road, the sun setting along the skyline reminded you of just how late it was getting. You and Deacon made your way down the road, children scurrying past your legs at a high speed making you giggle. "This place is nice." You commented, your hands fiddling with one another in front of you as you walked. Deacon shrugged passively, not finding the place as cozy as you did. "Yeah, it's alright." He lazily replied and waved his hand as if the place wasn't all that great, you nudged his shoulder with yours as he furrowed his eyebrows playfully and looked at you. "Okay, ow, that's rude." He deadpanned, rubbing his shoulder as if you had punched him and it actually hurt. You rolled your eyes playfully, chuckling at how stupid he was and at how he never failed to make you laugh.

"You're an idiot." You chuckled and stepped off the sidewalk, walking across a side road before stepping back up onto the sidewalk and continuing your journey to the guest house. "Oh, now you're insulting me. You know, that really hurts, Y/N." His voice was flat but you could see the smile curling at the edges of his lips as he tried not to laugh. You scrunched up your nose and smiled sarcastically at him, watching as he raised his eyebrows in amusement at you. "Does it?" Your voice was squeaky and high as Deacon made the same face in mock annoyance, your face returning to just smiling at his antics. "Mhm, words hurt." He finally broke and let out a chuckle as he spoke, crossing his arms over his chest as he walked to look like he was pouting but ending up looking like a huge dork. You just laughed him off and kept walking beside him, seeing him turn his head towards you like he was about to say something. But he never spoke and instead stopped walking altogether, leaving you to walk ahead a step or two before you realized he wasn't at your side. "Deek?" You questioned, eyebrows furrowed as he looked across the road with his lips parted and jaw slacked open.