Fly Away | Sam Drake

okay guys since it's ya girl's birthday, here's a new chapter for the first time in 6 months :)

—————————

15 years.

It had been 15 years since Panama. 15 years since Sam Drake had been shot right before your eyes, since he had slipped from your grasp. 15 years since you were forced to leave him behind. You didn't want to, you wanted to lay down and cry for eternity but Nate had pulled you up and along and had dragged you all the way to the ocean. He had helped you swim and get into the plane, had gave you a blanket and had held you as you cried into his chest. He never said anything, only wiped your tears and most of the time would cry with you. You were never really the same after that, sure you and Nate kinda moved on with your life and had went on other adventures together, but Sam was always a lingering thought in the back of your mind. When you found El Dorado with Nate, Sam would have made a comment about how much the thing was worth. Finding Shambala and trekking through the mountains, he would have complained about how cold it was. Iram of the Pillars in the middle of the Rub al Khali desert, he would have complained the whole time about how hot it was and there was no telling what he would have hallucinated from the water.

You and Nate had grown closer over the years, more like brother and sister now than anything else. After he got married and settled down with Elena, the two of you had drifted apart. He didn't call as often, he used to call almost every day and now you were lucky to hear from him once a week or two. It was sad, your heart ached every time you thought of your distant relationship with the younger Drake. After Sam, you had only hoped to at least stay good in touch with Nate, but it seemed he had his own life going for him. Your life was rather dull, you worked a 9 to 5 job at a corporation with a blouse and pencil skirt dress code, your feet always hurt from your heels, and your boss was a little on the creepy side. Nonetheless it payed well, and it kept your lights on and water running and that was good enough. After Iram of the Pillars and that whole mess, you hadn't done another job like that. Sully had called you a few times about an odd job here and there, but you had gave the same excuse Nate would and said "I'm out."

Now, as you return to your apartment late at night, your feet screamed at you as you jammed the key in the lock and jiggled it. The door opened and you sighed in relief, kicking off your heels by the door as it closed behind you. You slung your coat and bag across a stool at the kitchen bar before opening up a bottle of wine, grabbing a glass and pouring the white wine into it before taking a swig from the bottle itself. Placing the wine back in the fridge you made your way into the living room, the curtains had stayed open all day and now gave you a view of the lit up city at night. You plopped down on the couch and sighed loudly, sipping the wine and throwing an arm on the back of the couch. The loud ringing of your phone still in your bag brought you from your relaxing state, a loud groan passing your lips as you sluggishly got up off the couch and made your way back over to the bar and set the glass down on the counter. You dug through your bag and finally found your phone, seeing "Nate" pop up on the screen making your eyebrows furrow as you glanced at the clock on the wall. What on Earth was he doing calling you at 9:00?

"Hello?" You answered, your heart smiling anyway since you hadn't talked to him in a while. "Y/N, hey, it's Nate." His voice came through the other line, you rolled your eyes but smiled a little nonetheless at how dorky he was. "Yes, I know it's you, Nate. It's 9:00, what's up? You never call me this late." You grabbed your glass of wine on the counter and sipped it a little more, seeing you were almost already done with the first glass and made your way to the fridge again. "Well—uh, what are you doing right now?" He asked after a moment of hesitation, your eyebrows furrowing at his odd question. "Uh, pouring myself a glass of wine. Why? What are you doing right now?" You dragged out, popping the cork again and filling the glass up. "What? What do you—oh, nevermind. Listen, I need you to come down to Jameson Marine. It's an emergency." Now you were certainly confused. You put the bottle of wine down on the counter and your brows furrowed, at the very least you could tell he was serious. "What? Nate, it's 9:00. I'd love to see you but can you wait till tomorrow?" You heard shuffling on the other end and muffled talking, before hearing Nate come back on the other end.