7. Settling In

Francois was a cross between Tom Hiddleston, Tom Holland, and that Swedish Muppet Chef from sesame street. The last part was mainly his eyebrows. He had really great eyebrows.

The first moment Jane and he met, after the two women came back from the roof she was swept into his arms as he proceeded to hug her and kiss either cheek. "See I found her." he told Liz, who had proceeded to call him Her Hero, albeit mockingly.

Jane watched them interact all evening as they sat with her in the hospital. Francois serving her beef stew on a plate he had brought from home. "Like an artist needs the right canvas, a meal needs the right serving dish." He was so pleased when Jane asked for a second helping.

Who wouldn't? It was sex to her taste buds. Whose ability to taste food had returned since waking up. So that was something good that came out of the whole situation. Plus she didn't think she had eaten a full meal in over a week.

Liz had to leave early because she had work the next day, at which time Francois informed Jane he would be returning for her first thing in the morning as he didn't have to start work until early afternoon.

Because most people have normal day jobs. Most people don't have the ability to make their own hours, wear pyjamas to work or take 15 toilet breaks because they drink three litres of water a day.

It was why Jane has great skin.

So when he turned up at exactly the time he said he would, Jane began to wonder if that comment Liz had once made about him always being on time actually meant something else entirely.

Plus it was the most normal thing about the past 24 hours of her life in Korea. Last night's dream had been so confusing, and made her extremely hot and bothered that she risked de-stressing herself in her fucking hospital room.

It seemed that Liz had filled Francois in on everything, except the Jimin stuff, because when they were at the administration desk, he knew exactly what was required for her to check out. He began chatting away with the Nurse at the counter after informing Jane all of her medical bills were covered by her sponsor. Sponsor being the word the nurse used. All she had to do was fill in her information for the hospital.

She kept hearing Francois between her attempts to read the paperwork. Jane was fluent in Korean, but it was the first time she had actually filled out any paperwork written in nothing but Hangul.

Francois' accent was so good that if Jane hadn't known it was him speaking, she would have assumed he was a native. She got to the part that said Next of Kin.

"Liz. She told Bi-Your Sponsors that she was your next of kin. Here.." and he took the paper work from Jane and wrote his and Liz's contact information, citing them as her family.

Jane actually felt relieved. She'd only just met Francois, though she had known him from years through the window of a mobile phone. But that he, without any effort called her his family. Jane was flattered.

Unlike Liz, who took public transport everywhere, and had informed Jane she would have to do the same, and was going to be receiving lessons on just the right way to do that, Francois drove.

Jane watched the city she had longed to see for 5 years pass by through the window of his car. It was mostly highways and suburbs but just the image of Hangul on every sign she saw, on every bus that passed by, and every billboard on display sent butterflies to her stomach.

She was half excitement, half apprehension. This was never how she wanted to be here. But because she couldn't walk into Fate's Headquarters and demand a do-over, it would have to do.

The sun had barely risen, but Francois was insistent that this was the best time of day in the city.

They had driven 15 minutes when Francois asked if she minded joining him when he went to get the ingredients for the lunch service. He offered to drop her off first. But Jane declined. "Don't let me interfere. Please just do what you need to do."