17. Hidden Basement

Elizabeth Meyer

Even though yesterday I was tired to the core.... sleep stood miles away from me. I closed my eyes and tried sleeping but of no avail. Counting numbers from 1 to 100 in both ascending and descending order which always helped me to sleep didn't work. The scent that lingered in my body and the thoughts about him kept me awake all night. After all the tossing and turning I got up before sunrise and took a bath in order to test myself. Although the scent faded I could still feel its presence. Am I being paranoid. I couldn't help it. I tried to brush every thoughts away from me. I chanted in my mind to forget about it.... all the while reminding me of it. What a ridiculous idea. Anyways after I entered into the mansion the thoughts subsided. I started doing the leftover work of counting and classifying each and every antiques and artifacts gathered in a room on the ground floor. You could easily say that each and everyone is precious and expensive. Neil had already given information that this mansion belonged to a states man's heir. They were renowned family for centuries. Wealth is something that comes along. Though I don't remember him mention their family name.

With my little knowledge about potteries, China wares and ceramics I gathered while on a vacation trip to China along with the additional help from Google and wiki ... I did my best to categorize them. It was almost 7.00. The sun had risen. Sun lights peaks through the window. I switched off the lights with extra caution. Cleaning team and especially Neil had strictly warned me from using the electricity over here. The insulation is crumbled , chewed wires and all. I wouldn't have crossed their warnings if my phone had enough charge. These days I usually forget to charge my phone because my mind is always consumed with other thoughts. I know to light a massive room with a flash light is not enough but still I should have managed. But I think it's fine because nothing happened... right. I wasn't careless and I am fine.

I think yesterday's works are almost over. I should look on to other rooms too. But I think I need some sunlight at this moment and my little break fast.

It's not a sunny day today. Neither there are any clouds but the atmosphere gives an odd vibes of rain. This place is famous for it's beautiful weather transformations. I am badly looking forward for it. I took my cross bag to get the small bottle of water and the blue berry oatmeal Ny prepared yesterday night for me to have on break fast. Since I appreciated her cooking ability she started preparing breakfast for me.

"Is that all you have for break fast?"
The familiar voice managed to startle me.
I look at him in a slight shock. I couldn't recognize him coming to me. Why? I always felt his presence even before I see him. Why did I failed this time. Am I too much immersed in my thoughts or my break fast that I missed it. But I felt oddly bad and sad.

"Did I scare you Beth? I am.."

"No its fine. I just didn't felt you were here" what am I saying.

"Coz you didn't see....how will you know if you didn't see me" he found my words funny. I felt my anger level slightly charging up at him for making fun of my feelings albeit I know he is unaware. So I kept my eyes stick to the ground. Anyways he found out.

"I wasn't making fun of you....This isn't good for your health "
He changed the topic to which I am great full for but Did my anger level was that visible that he mentioned it's not healthy.

"No I mean I am not a hot head. I am usually a calm and quiet person in fact an introvert"

"No Beth I wasn't saying about that. I was mentioning about your breakfast. It's not healthy. It's just a small cup full."

I felt relieved. Ok I thought he was being judgemental or something.

You know him better. He is such a sweet guy.... my inner voice always comes for his defense.