8: Hospital Battleground

Playlist:

Shattered ~ Trading Yesterday

The Fear ~ The Score

Falling into the Black ~ Skillet

Irresistible ~ Fall Out Boy

No Boundaries ~ Adam Lambert

TRISH

I engulfed Anna in a hug and she clung to me. Jordan stood nearby watching us.

"Are you okay?" I asked. I could tell something had happened for her to be clinging to me like she was.

"Sissy, I almost died. He was going to kill me and Stiles because we wouldn't tell him where our friends were."

"What?" I looked over at Jordan, hoping he could make sense of what Anna had just said.

"Some sort of virus or bacteria was released at the school," he said. "Made a bunch of people sick, but it ran its course after a few hours. McCall got a frantic call from Melissa to give a message to Stiles and he caught the state test supervisor with a gun to Stiles' head."

My eyes widened, remembering all too well the feeling of a gun to my head.

"McCall heard him verbally threaten to kill Stiles and Anna and start a countdown."

"And Rafe used deadly force against him, didn't he?"

Jordan nodded. "I think that's what has Anna so shook up. She watched a man die right in front of her."

Anna was crying into my shoulder as I held her and I knew that this had been another assassination attempt. My mind was telling me to be livid at Rafe for killing someone in front of my sister, but this hadn't been the first death she'd witnessed. And I was positive this wouldn't be her last.

"I'm going to go talk to your supervisor and then I'm going to take the two of you home." Jordan walked off as I led Anna over to the nearby chairs.

Melissa joined us. "Is she okay?"

"No, she's really shook up." I glanced around. "We were right. This was an assassination attempt on the kids. Your ex saved Stiles and Anna by killing the assassin."

"In front of them?"

"Yeah."

"Crap."

"Dad was at school," Anna suddenly said. "Jordan didn't believe that you sent him."

"I did send him since I was stuck here and he wanted to help."

"I wasn't ready to talk to him. I just wanted to go home."

"It's okay, Anna. If you didn't want to talk to him, you didn't have to."

Jordan walked back over to us. "I explained to your supervisor what was going on and she said that Anna was more important than finishing your shift."

"Thanks, Jordan," I said as I stood with Anna still clinging to me and we left the hospital.

Jordan stayed downstairs while I explained to Peter, who had arrived via the window not too long after we got home after hearing about the quarantine from Derek, about what happened. He looked like he was about to leave to go track down this assassin and rip him to pieces until I told him that Rafe had beat him to it. He didn't even try to hide the disappointment. Once I saw Anna was cuddled with him, I returned to Jordan.