12: Smoke and Mirrors, Angels and Demons

Playlist:

I'm Ready ~ NF/Tommee Profitt

I Bet My Life ~ Imagine Dragons

Breath of Life ~ Florence + the Machine

Change ~ Taylor Swift

"We don't know when she took him, but we think it might have been earlier today," I was telling Thomas as I walked into the loft. He'd called to warn me that Kate was after Scott after finding Chris in the sewers looking like he'd tangled with a berserker. "We're going after them."

Then we'll meet you there. Probably bring the calvary while we're at it.

"Fine. We're going to gather the others. Stiles is going to see if we can count on his dad for backup. Be careful."

You be careful. And don't trust Peter.

I looked at the phone wondering if I'd just heard Thomas right. "What?"

Just trust me on this. I know he's Anna's boyfriend, but please don't let your guard down around him.

"I won't. I'll see you at La Inglasia." I hung up and turned as I heard a gun cock. I was pretty sure Braeden's entire arsenal was laying on the table.

Derek was leaned over it. "I still don't like relying on these things," he said with a sigh.

"I get it," Braeden said. "You miss your power. I would, too."

"It's not about power. It's about being able to help. I don't like feeling helpless."

"You can still help," I said. "Look at Stiles and Anna."

Braeden gave him an annoyed look. "I'm human. Do I look helpless?"

I snickered and Derek gave a half-hearted smirk.

"You're a much better shot than me." He looked at me. "You both are."

"Berserkers are a big target though."

A worried look suddenly came over Braeden's face. "Do you really think you won't be coming back?"

"Not alive."

I glared at him. "You know that's not true."

"I don't know it's not true."

Braeden set the gun down. "You know I'm not okay with that." She motioned at me. "Neither one of us is."

Derek's only answer was to smile and gently kiss her. There was just something about Braeden that I trusted with Derek. She knew his secret from the beginning, helped him learn how to defend himself as a human, and she still treated him like any other person. I didn't even feel the need to threaten her like I had with Jennifer, or Julia. Whatever that bitch's name actually was. I just wish Jordan could have looked past my secrets like Braeden had with Derek. But it made me happy to see him with someone that loved him and wasn't using him for their own gains.

"I am," Derek whispered when they broke away. She looked at him, hurt on her face. "If it saves Scott and Kira."

"You don't have to sacrifice yourself to do that," I said.

"Says the Eamonn." He then looked at the arsenal. "But to be honest, I don't even know if this is enough firepower to take down one Berserker."