Valtteri Bottas - Doubt

Requested by: @why-are-you-here-

I pulled into the drive, turning the engine off and climbing out of the black Mercedes. I unlocked the front door, kicking off my pumps and hanging up my coat on the coat rack.

"Kulta?" I called out, after no response I wandered around the house looking for Valtteri. I opened our bedroom door to see him fast asleep in bed. I walked over and pressed a kiss to his forehead before getting changed into some leggings and one of Valtteri's t-shirts and going back downstairs.

I cooked some dinner for the two of us and placed it on the table with two wine glasses and a bottle of red. I turned around to see Valtteri slumping into the room, dark circles consumed his eyes. It was if he hadn't slept at all.

"Hey beautiful," I said walking over and pressing a kiss to his lips. He mumbled a hello before sitting down at the table.

He was unusually quiet throughout dinner. He asked how my day was and that was it. Usually he'd be chatting away about anything and everything. After we finished eating Valtteri got up and washed up the dishes while I dried them up. Normally we would be dancing our arses off as we tidied up but the kitchen was silent apart from the water running from the tap. Physically Valtteri was there but mentally he was someone where, somewhere dark and isolated.

"Is everything okay my love?" I asked as he passed me the final pan.

"Just tired," he muttered before he walked out of the room and back upstairs. I sighed and put away the pan before following him up. He'd climbed straight back into bed. I decided to leave him be, giving him the benefit of the doubt that he was just tired. He obviously didn't want to be disturbed and I knew how hard he would work in pre testing. I finished off cleaning the house as quietly as I could, not wanting Valtteri to have to worry about it.

When I finally climbed into bed I curled up to him, draping my arm upon his chest. I placed a kiss on his jaw and whispered a goodnight.

My eyes opened slightly when I felt the bed dip and suddenly got a lot colder. I saw Valtteri walk out of the room, back downstairs. I called out for him but he didn't reply. I turned my head to see my clock informing me that it was two in the morning. I slipped out of the duvet and threw one of Valtteri's jumpers over my head before walking down the cold wooden stairs. He was sat at the table with his head in his hands, letting out the occasional sniffle.

I sat on the edge of the table and ran my fingers through his hair, my other hand resting on his shoulder.

"Valtteri... baby?" I whispered. Another sniffle escaped, his head not moving from his hands.
"Talk to me please, tell me what's wrong." He slowly looked up at me, tears staining his now very red cheeks. I'd only ever seen him cry once before, when he had lost a family member. I cupped his cheek and used my thumb to wipe away falling tears.

"You deserve better than me." His voice was barely audible, eyes darting back down to the table.
"You do everything for me and all I do in return is fly off to other countries constantly. You deserve someone who you can come home to everyday. Someone who is there to help around the house, and be there for when you've had a bad day. Not having to use technology to keep the relationship. Someone who you can spend time with more than once every once in a while. Instead you have a useless guy who spends all of his time training or sleeping..." His breaths were getting shorter and he was beginning to stumble over his words.

"Darling breathe," I interrupted, hopping off the table to kneel in between his legs. His eyes were extremely red and puffy, tears now streaming down his face like a waterfall. I took his hand in mine and pressed a kiss to the back of his hand.

"You are everything I could want and more. When we got together I knew that you wouldn't be around constantly and I accepted that. In a perfect world I'd love to be always by your side, but all it means is that it makes when I do see you even more special. My favourite time of the day is when you get home and you tell me all about the race weekend, you're following your passion and I'm here to support you at every step of the way. Cause one day you're gonna win that championship and I'll still be cheering you on like I do now. I don't think you realise how much I love you Valtteri Bottas and I'm never gonna stop loving you." I stood up and pulled him into my chest, holding him tight.

"Please don't doubt yourself my love, you are perfect to me." He let out a small muffled sob, I rubbed circles on his back, whispering words of comfort to him.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. I lifted his chin so our eyes would meet.

"Never apologise or hold back anything from me. I'm here for you no matter what the issue is. It's me and you against the world." He pressed his lips to mine, his hands cupping my cheeks. When we pulled apart I gave him a small smile before using the sleeve of my jumper to wipe away any stray tears that remained on his face.

We cuddled up on the sofa and played a film in the background, just wanting to enjoy each other's company. Valtteri rested his head on my chest, his fingers tracing the outline of my tattoo under my breast until he drifted off to sleep. I kissed his forehead one last time before letting myself give in to the exhaustion l, knowing that everything was okay.