Chapter-8

Clarke could feel her blood bubbling through her veins as she drew the string of her bow back. The incredible pressure of the string causing her thumb ring made of bone to press into her, as she held it steady. Her back muscles pulled into a familiar taunt position. Breathing rhythmically, she aimed as the giant beast flung itself over the wall and into its nest. A part of her mind categorized it as a gorilla type pauna. The larger part of her mind was busy listing its attributes and quickly coming to the realization she was screwed. Seconds before Lexa's guard was crushed, she had decided he was of no use except as a distraction. That left Lexa, who was clearly a close range fighter, and herself. While she had enough daggers and her bow to take down most predators, a pauna was a whole different ball game.

Attempting to kill it would be suicide, that meant she would have to distract it and run. She catalogued all of this in the time it took for the animal to clear the wall, grab Lexa's guard, and beat him into the ground. When the dead body of the guard crumpled against the side of the enclosure, she released her arrow into the beast's front paw causing it to pull back to roar in challenge. Using the opportunity, she struck one of Raven's arrows against a rock causing a fire to light on its' tip before taking aim and firing it straight into the animal's eye.

She knew it wouldn't keep the animal distracted for more than a few precious moments. Grabbing Lexa's arm, she yelled "RUN!" She didn't even bother to glance at the animal, who was screaming its pain at them, before she leapt over the railing and to the concrete below. Landing easily, she turned and started towards the narrowing at the lower section, hoping for cover. A cry of pain from behind her forced her to turn and notice that while she may have practice falling out of trees and continuing with combat, the commander clearly did not.

Sliding next to the woman, she grabbed her uninjured arm and started to half drag, half guide the commander towards where she thought there might be cover or at least a defensible position. The ground shook as the mighty beast crashed into the ground behind them, making Clarke's teeth click together. Diving forward, she made it through the small gate and turned to help pull Lexa through only for her to be ripped out of her grasp by the pauna yanking Lexa back by her leg.

Lexa's face already drawn with pain, contorted as she grasped the support of the grate they'd been attempting to go through. "Leave me!" She cried at her.

Clarke snapped at her, "No way!" She was not losing someone when she could save them. There was no way she'd be able to get her bow off her back in time to reload and fire it. She didn't even consider it, just automatically reaching for the closest knife to her dominant hand and throwing it with all of her strength into the paw holding Lexa's leg. Fortunately, it was the same paw she'd already lodged an arrow into. It reared back in pain as its' blood leaked from the wound. Grasping Lexa firmly, she hauled her through the opening and kicked out the support letting the metal plate drop blocking that route.

Lexa was clearly in a great deal of pain from the fall and being treated like the rope in a game of tug of war by the pauna. Supporting most of her weight, Clarke hauled them towards a metal door. Kicking it open, she got Lexa to a seat before grabbing Lexa's sword and using it to bar the door. Stepping back, she heard the animal beating at the closed grate, clearly furious that they'd gotten away from it. Breathing hard, she felt some relief that at least for now they were safe.

-DLDLDLDLDLDLDLDLDLDLDLDLDLDDL-

Three years six months ago:

Nia stared at the kneeling seconds before her and considered the report she'd just received. It would seem her advisors had been correct when they told her that the sky invaders held promise. Tapping her fingers against the throne's arm, she carefully pondered what to do next. Leaving them kneeling would force them to fear her decision longer. The proper amount of respect and fear had to be maintained.