Chapter-37

Monty stayed at Clarke's back as she made sure that their warriors had removed what she'd instructed them to from the mountain. He had to hide a snort at the confused looks the warriors kept giving her as they helped cart out pipes, boxes of mechanical supplies, wires, and books. They sent longing looks at the passing warriors from other clans who were carrying out magnificent paintings and sculptures. It was a testament to the trust they held in Clarke that they didn't ask why they were getting subpar loot.

"I would excuse you from your duty for another day if I could." Clarke said, looking at him cautiously.

He shifted so that his body was leaning against hers. "I know," He felt her arm wrap around him, pulling him into a slightly awkward side hug but he didn't care. He was just comforted by her presence. "I've missed you." He found himself saying.

She shifted, changing it so that they were in a proper hug. "I haven't been around all that much have I?"

He snorted, pulling back but entwining their fingers so that they didn't lose their connection. "I understand. You don't have much time left." He looked at her meaningfully. He had seen her getting more antsy as the ever looming time of departure neared.

"Still, we're family. I should have been spending more of what time I have with you." She said.

"We'll have a month of time in tight quarters on our journey home." Monty said. "You and Raven can even start working on a prosthetic for Miller while we're traveling." He couldn't keep the slightly hopeful lilt out of his voice.

She squeezed his hand in understanding. "He won't be recovered enough for a prosthetic till his stump has healed, but we can work up some idea's while we move."

He grinned suddenly, "He's rather attached to the idea of getting a bionic arm."

She laughed and it echoed down the cold dusty halls and rubble of the mountain passageway. The warriors passing by with arms full of loot stopped and stared before moving on with their burdens. "I don't know about that, but we could definitely go for a Captain Hook look?"

"Maybe a couple different ones for different tasks?" He suggested, knowing that the more versatility they could give Miller the better. Miller wasn't suited for being a ceremonial palace guard or adviser. He was made for action and loyalty.

Clarke looked thoughtful. "We could definitely make a more lifelike one for more standard daily tasks. I'm sure Charlotte is going to insist on a sword arm for him." She smiled sadly at the mention of Charlotte.

"She still not speaking to you?" Monty asked carefully. He knew how much Charlotte's anger at Clarke was affecting her.

Clarke looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "She's speaking to me but I'm pretty sure she's still mad at me. She's far too much like me in some ways. She'll hold onto her grudge for some time yet."

"If she was like you, she'd never let it go." He teased lightly.

Clarke just smiled widely. "True enough."

He enjoyed seeing her like this, open at least for her, not concentrating on the next task. Of course, the fact she was overseeing the next task probably helped. Their time as warriors had changed them all in different ways. It made him infinitely glad he'd had Miller by his side. Without him, he feared he would have ended up as self-hating as Clarke or Charlotte, or falsely open like Bellamy. It was odd but sometimes he thought Dax was the sanest out of all of them.