Chapter 6: The Subtle Art of Potionmaking

Disclaimer: HP belongs to JK Rowling, and i'm only playing in the sand she gave us to make a sandcastle. I don't own Harry Potter- Harmonia is though.

Potions lesson took place down in one of the dungeons. It was colder here than up in the main castle, and would have been quite creepy enough without the pickled animals floating in glass jars all around the walls.

Snape, like Flitwick, started the class by taking the roll call, and like Flitwick, he paused at Harry's name.

"Ah, Yes," he said softly, "Harry Potter. Our new-- celebrity.

Ron Weasley was the only one who sniggered in his hands. Snape quickly turned to Ron who quickly sneered.

"Ah, another Weasley. 5 points from Gryffindor for your sniggering Mr. Weasley  Potions isn't to be taken lightly of."

Ron Weasely turned red and ducked his head down. Now, it was Draco Malfoy and his friends Crabbe and Goyle who struggled to keep their sniggers into their hands.

Harry fought to prevent a smile from forming into his face.

Snape finished calling their names and looked up at the class.
Now, Harry could clearly see his eyes were black like Hagrid's, instead of warmth, his eyes seemed to be cold and empty and could make you think of dark tunnels.

Harry wondered what kind of past their Potions Master has been through for eyes to look like that they had seen worse. Harry snapped out of his thoughts when Snape started.

"You are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potionmaking," he began. He spoke in barely more than a whisper, but they caught every word-- like Professor McGonagall, Snape had the gift of keeping a class silent without effort.

"As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect that you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with it's shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquid that creeps through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses... I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory and even stopper death-- if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as i usually have to teach."

Harry mentally whistled. Neville clearly wasn't joking when he told Snape was really serious about Potions. He would have to work really hard at Potions. Besides after being forced to learn how to cook at the Duraleys he atleast had a few experience in the practical part.

More silence followed his little speech. Harry and Draco managed to exchange looks. Draco grinned and wrote something in his parchment.
He lifted it up and Harry read.

'Let's see who's better at Potions.'

Harry then looked up to meet Draco and mouthed 'sure.'

Snape caught him and quickly turned to him.

"Potter!" said Snape suddenly.

"What would i get if i added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"

Harry looked like a deer stuck at headlights. He turned to Hermione who was watching him intently then Harry remembered their advanced study of the subject in the Library before the class and tried to rack up his brain for the answer.

Then he looked back to Snape and answered quietly.
"If asphodel and wormwood are added together.. it makes a powerful sleeping potion known as the, uh.. the uh.. the Draught of Living Death.!" Harry said the last part excitedly congratulating himself for remembering it and to Hermione for making him stay up late to read a few pages.

Snape looked surprised, and Harry quickly shut his mouth off. Scared, if he'd answer wrongly.

"Did i g-get it wrong Professor?" Harry asked the Potion Master weakly.