4

Sydney Hall is Freddy's best friend. They met on their first day of high school, the day that Jay had thrown his books across the hall. Sydney had helped him pick his books up, they started chatting and instantly got along.

They have been best friends ever since. Sydney is the best person to ever exist in the world, according to Freddy.

She was in the kitchen grabbing some snacks, while Freddy was sitting in the lounge room, thinking about how his life has come to be what it is.

The thing is... he misses Jay. He really does. He misses the old Jay, the one who would give him the world if he could, the one who was always there for him. What happened to that Jay?

Freddy has always been confused about how Jay could just change his mind so easily, just randomly deciding 'Nope I don't want to be friends with him anymore'. The thing that hurt Freddy the most was that he never got an explanation.

An explanation on why Jay is homophobic, and an explanation on how Jay found out Freddy was gay,

Maybe if he was with Jay when he found out, he would have been able change his mind? Assure him it doesn't mean anything bad?

He sighed, realising he most likely would have been more heartbroken if he had been there when the change happened.

What's the point of being best friends for so long if you're willing to let them go so easily?

But what makes it worse is that Freddy never knew Jay was homophobic. If he knew that, he would have been so much more careful. He would most likely try to convince him that gay isn't gross, without giving himself away.

But nothing can be changed now. Life is how it is. Jay hates him, and he always will. That's life.

He wants to forget about him, so he let his thoughts drift and remembered back to this morning, when he had his needles.

The nurse told him that he has pegminitis, which Freddy is still confused about. He would have never thought in his entire life, that he would be one of the special. But now that he has this condition, he truly is special.

Then he suddenly remembered, doesn't that mean he has a soulmate?? Or is that just a myth? He has always believed that it's true, not just a myth, but now that he is faced with it himself, he can't see it happening because the only person who would ever try to be his friend is Sydney, but she can't be his soulmate, he's gay after all.

He sighed, not wanting to think about it too much, otherwise he won't be able to stop thinking about it and it will make him go insane.

He drifted out of his thoughts, looked around the living room and saw Sydney sitting on the couch opposite, staring him straight in the eye.

"What?" He asked, as he held eye contact intensely.

"Nothing! I was just wondering what you were thinking about. You looked like you were in your own little mind. I called your name multiple times but you didn't answer, so I just sat there and waited. You must have really been in your own mind. What were you thinking about?"

"Oh, nothing, just school."

She gave me a skeptical look but let it go.