14

The next day, Freddy walked up to Jay at his locker, "What you got?"

Jay swung his head in Freddy's direction, "Science..." he said, cautiously glancing around.

Freddy noticed but tried not to think about it too much, otherwise he knew he would convince himself that Jay was looking around to make sure no one sees them together because he doesn't want to be seen with the freak.

"I have english."

"Cool." He completely dismisses Freddy, which made him frown.

"What's wrong?" Freddy asked, not wanting to hear the answer.

Jay snapped out of his trance, "Oh uh- nothing."

Freddy stares blankly at Jay, "You still don't want to be seen with me."

Jay's eyes widened, "What? No-"

"Don't even try to ignore it, you wouldn't be so on edge unless it was because you're scared someone will see you talking to me. Don't worry, I'm leaving."

"Wait-" He didn't get to finish because Freddy was already speed walking away.

Jay sighed, "Fuck."

*

Jay was sat with his friends in the cafeteria, they were talking to each other, but all he could focus on was Freddy, who was sitting all by himself at a table in the corner of the cafeteria.

"I know right! Even Jay agreed!" his friend Carla laughed, "Jay! Jay-" she followed his gaze to see where he was looking.

When she saw his gaze was on Freddy, she smirked, "Why don't you go over there and teach him a lesson?"

Jay snapped out of his gaze, "What?"

"You were staring at fairy boy, I said you should go and teach him a lesson."

"A lesson..?"

"Yeah, for being a fag."

Jay pursed his lips, he really wanted to go and sit next to him, but he didn't have the courage.

He then remembered what Freddy said to him that morning, 'You still don't want to be seen with me.'

He looked at Carla, who has had the biggest crush on him ever since they met, and then back to Freddy who he has bullied for years and he really needed to make it up to him.

Step 1, Gain the courage to talk to him in public.

Out of nowhere, Jay stood up, stomping his way over to Freddy.

Carla smirked, expecting him to push his lunch off of the table.

Instead, he simply sat down next to him.

Freddy looked up from the table, eyes widening when he saw Jay.

Jay smiled shyly, "You're right. I need to stop being a coward." He grabbed Freddy's hand.

Jay's group that was watching them all had wide eyes, confusion across their faces.