Walk Away

Bella's POV

"Stay between the flags!" I said to someone I had just rescued for what felt like the 100th time today. Today the beach is packed with people as the weather is scorching and there's a public holiday.

Happy, happy, joy, joy.

"Bell's there's another one out there, looks like he's struggling." Whippet said to me as I approached him where we were stationed at Backpackers. Internally groaning I made my way back out into the water on the rescue board. All day I've been back and forward like a boomerang, this time I'm staying on the board...

Oh shit, he's going under!

I sped towards him as quick as I could. The horrible feeling growing in the pit of my stomach. Reaching the guy, I managed to pull him up, but something wasn't right.

He started laughing...

Am I missing the joke?!

"Hey Ben, you were right! You did get the hot lifeguard to rescue you!" I heard someone shout to the boy I just 'rescued'. I could feel my blood begin to boil.

Oh nu uh!

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW?" I shouted at the boys who could have been no older than 16. "Look how busy this god damn beach is! And you're pretending to drown cause you have little heart eyes for the female lifeguard? GROW UP! Someone could've really needed saving and you've just wasted my time. People die here!"

The goofy smiles dramatically fell from the boys' faces. I would've laughed if I hadn't been so angry. I quickly made my way back to the sand before I said something I regret (would totally not regret it) and get called to my Dad's office.

"Hey, hey, calm down." Whippet soothed rubbing his hand on my back. "What happened out there?"

"Calm down?!" I exclaimed in shock. "Those two fucklets pretended to drown just so, and I quote, 'The hot lifeguard would rescue them' so excuse me for being a little pissed." I raged. Whippet looked angry for a few seconds but quickly regained his composure.

"Bella you need to chill, your blood sugar will be going mad! Box is on his way down here, you go for your break and have a drink of lucozade alright?"

"Yeah, thanks." I mumbled walking up the beach towards the tower, when I bumped into someone.

"Oh sorry...". Looking up my eyes met a familiar brown pair. "I should probably go."

"No, Bella wait please!" He pleaded grabbing my arm.

"Let go of me, now." I calmly said. He complied and gave me an apologetic look.

"Bella, I'm sorry for what happened between us, what I said-"

"I've got work to do." I mumbled walking away but he kept following me.

"Please, just give me another chance."

"Listen, Brody. I really suggest you leave me alone before one of my colleagues sees you and calls the coppers. Walk away." I said as I quickly made my way to the tower. My heart felt like it was about to pump out of my chest when I walked in and Reidy came straight up to me.

"What happened with that guy down there? Are you okay?" He asked quietly as I grabbed a drink of lucozade.

"It was nothing." I shrugged innocently.

"It didn't look like nothing." I heard Corey say from behind me. "If someone was harassing you, you know they need to be off the beach."

Ah great!