The Usefulness of Hobbits

Pippin was still confused as he followed Merry through the cold stony corridors of the castle. He was also getting tired and out of breath. "Merry, how long have we got to –"

Merry shushed him. "I told you nine times already, Pippin. You need to be quiet or you'll blow our cover."

They continued to walk. They didn't stop until they reached the room Jon lent out to Shireen. The door was left ajar. The hobbits peeked through and there was Shireen in it herself. She wasn't alone in the room, though. She was with Queen Daenerys and two of her Unsullied warriors. Though the girls were smiling between each other, the hobbits could smell trouble brewing up like their kettles back in the hobbit holes in the Shire.

"How are you doing, Shireen?" Dany asked.

"Fine, thank you, Your Grace," Shireen said. "How are you doing?"

"To tell you the truth, not great. I have lost my dragons and the Iron Throne has been destroyed."

"Well, there is still some good in this rough time. Not everyone from the Seven Kingdoms is dead. We still have a king and a queen. We still have some of our beloved friends with us. And we have our friends from Middle-Earth to help us defeat the White Walkers."

"I wouldn't trust these people from Middle-Earth if I were you," Dany said. "I believe they've only come here to defeat the White Walkers so they can take all the glory and rule us all."

"How can I not trust them?" Shirleen asked. "They did save my life and Lady Sansa and King Jon among many others. And they did save their own lands from Sauron and his armies, so I can't think of having better allies than them. And King Jon and the Starks all trust them."

"Then they're all fools themselves. After I defeat the White Walkers, everyone will see the true ruler to the Seven Kingdoms."

"You mean King Jon?" Shirleen was given a hard look from Dany. "Samwell Tarly told me that he is Aegon Targaryen, the son of Rhaegar Targaryen."

"The son of my brother?" Dany asked.

"He is the heir to the Seven Kingdoms."

Dany just smiled. "This Samwell Tarly? He's not the same Samwell Tarly, whose father and brother I executed?"

Shireen was shocked to hear that. "You killed his family?"

"I wouldn't have killed them if only they bent the knee to me. I'll let you in on a little secret, Shireen."

The poor little princess was getting more worried and nervous by the minute. So were the hobbits, who were still outside and not spotted. Pippin wanted to rescue Shireen from Dany and her soldiers, but his cousin stopped him.

"Let's wait until we know for certain," Merry told him.

"Your King Jon is considering surrendering the Seven Kingdoms to me," Dany told Shireen. "He believes I will be a better ruler and I intend to prove him right. Help me persuade him to do so and I shall make you Lady of Dragonstone."

"That's a tempting offer, but I don't need it." Shireen tried to get out of her chair, but Dany's Unsullied warriors pushed her back down. She tried to break free, but they were too strong.

Pippin tried once more to help Shireen, but Merry kept holding him back.

"We must wait for the right moment, Pip."

Pippin didn't know how much long he could hold it, especially watching Dany approaching the trapped Shireen.

"The only way you're going to struggle out of here, Shireen, is if you help me get the Seven Kingdoms.

"And what if I don't?" Shireen got her answer when the Unsullied warriors armed two swords at her throat.

"Okay, Pippin, now!" Merry sneaked into the room, followed by Pippin.

"Then you will join those Tarlys and all those who refuse to bend the knee," Dany said to the defenceless princess. "Need more persuasion, Shirleen? What more choice do you have?"

Then the Unsullied soldiers yelled in pain as they fell to floor. Shireen and Dany turned to see daggers thrown into both of each soldier's knees. The knives were picked up from their owners: the hobbits.

"Pippin!" Shireen cried happily.

"She has more choice!" Pippin yelled at Dany. "She has us!" Then he turned to his friend. "You all right, Shireen?"

The princess smiled. "Once again, thanks to you and your friends."

Merry was focusing on Dany. He held his blood-stained dagger at her. "You're done, Dany."

Dany didn't move at all. "It's 'Your Grace' and neither you two hobbits nor any of your Middle-Earth friends have no power over me. When I become Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, I will have everyone that stands against me executed, starting with your three. Slowly and painfully." Then she howled in pain as an arrow went into her right shoulder.

Shirleen and the hobbits turned to see it was Legolas who fired the arrow.

"Like that, Your Grace?" the elf asked sarcastically. "Slowly and painfully?"

Dany snarled as if the full Targaryen Madness inside her was finally being unleashed.

Then entering the room was Sansa, Arya and Gandalf.

"Just what Lady Stark and I predicted," the wizard said.

Dany just laughed. "I am the rightful ruler of the Seven Kingdoms. No one has power over me, especially some old white-bearded bastard with a white staff and a pointy-eared –" Then another arrow greeted her in her left shoulder.

"Do you want to finish?" Legolas asked.

"Even if you were the rightful ruler of the Seven Kingdoms and you had your dragons," Gandalf said, "even you could not stop a wizard from doing whatever he needs to do whenever he needs to do it." Then he turned to the Stark girls. "This is your home. My friends and I will let you deal with her on your terms."

Arya aimed her sword Needle at Dany. "To the courtyard. Now."

Dany got up and did what she was ordered to do, followed by Sansa and Legolas.

"What about these soldiers we just attacked, Gandalf?" Merry asked.

"Just leave them for the time being," the wizard said. "They will be fine when I come back to them. Now, come on. To the courtyard."

The hobbits followed the wizard.

"Thank you for coming to our rescue, Gandalf," Pippin said.

"I'm sorry we needed rescuing and we weren't more helpful," Merry said.

"That's because you couldn't be, my brave hobbits," Gandalf said. "Your usefulness has not only saved Shireen, but the whole of Seven Kingdoms, by revealing Daenerys's true nature. I am very proud of the both of you."

They all started to feel good about themselves.

"What about the Dothraki and the Unsullied, Gandalf?" Merry asked.

"I have a strong feeling they will be fine," the wizard told them. "If they don't join their queen. She will not be."

The hobbits were confused as they just followed him out to the courtyard.