Chapter 34

READ THE AUTHOR'S NOTE AT THE END OF THE CHAPTER!!

“Love is supposed to be based on trust, and trust on love, it’s something rare and beautiful when people can confide in each other without fearing what the other person will think.” ― E.A. Bucchiane

Demelza's POV.

I decided to work from Kodiak's home till everything went back to normal at my apartment, helping Matt from where I was and Gwen calling me when she needed help. I had taken the last few remaining days of my leave which was supposedly two weeks and since this year has been so busy I used up a lot of my leave.

I sat on the huge leather chair that had a comfortable ottoman, viewing something about an animal adoption and a helping thing at the shelter on my laptop. It perked up my interest and I just had to go. Riceball was seemingly enjoying himself with George and I didn't want to disturb little Riceball. I found Nancy upstairs in the library reading a cook book, brainstorming what she was going to make or try.

"Nancy?"I finally started calling her that when she told me for the uptieth time to just call her Nancy.

" Mmm. "She glanced up at me.

" I am going out to this event thing that's taking place not too far from here. I just wanted to inform you will be really late. "

She frowned.

" Dinner?"

" No thank you, I will eat something before I come back. "I nervously
explained to her why and where I was going. I expected her to get upset with me for not having lunch or dinner here but instead she understood me saying I should enjoy myself and that I am doing a good deed.

Most likely to dismay she said she would still make dinner but a light one.

I used an Uber to get there and very soon I was at the animal shelter.

I saw different kinds of breeds of dogs all taking a bath and getting ready for adoption. I just hoped that they would get a good home. A girl with a clipboard came infront of me.

"Hello. Are you here to help with our event?" She held hope in her eyes and I could see she really wanted me to say yes.

"Of course!" I declared.

"I'm glad. We only have a few people helping out. There's isn't a lot interested in our project..." She frowned. I grabbed her shoulders shaking them lightly with my infamous smile on.

"Listen,this will be a big success and we are going to find everyone of them a good home without fail. I promise you." This seemed to get her and the other people around us who heard me  to lighten up.

Time to help out!

Kodiak's POV.

One week, one fucking week and everything at the office was precisely havoc and the best part was I promised Nancy now that I would stay two weeks at home and work from there because I went to work today to sort out little problems, that no one else could do. I walked into the hallway, rubbing my face with my hands and pulling at my tie, noticing that something seemed off. It was just too quiet, that too with Demelza here.

"Demelza?" I raised my voice a little so if she was upstairs she might hear me but instead I got a mop running towards me with Nancy behind him.

"Nancy where is Demelza?" I inquired.

"Oh! She said she had gone somewhere... What was it called?" She looked at me as if I would know.

"I don't know, thats why I am asking you." I faltered a little. A little part of me feeling hurt that she would just leave like that but also I felt angered that she did not tell me she was leaving or where she was going.