Chapter 13: New leaves

Returning to class once all the battles were complete, Izuku found Bakugou absent.
He made eye contact with his father, half asleep under the desk, and Aizawa reluctantly nodded.
Smiling slightly, he turned to face those gathered around him, gushing over how he took down Bakugou (his seduction technique studiously avoided) and discussing their own fights.

He spoke apologetically, "Sorry guys, I should look for Kaachan, that will be the first time he's ever lost anything, he shouldn't try to deal with that alone."
The others were taken aback by Izuku being the one to want to help Bakugou, but knowing he could handle himself well, they reluctantly nodded.

"Be careful, he isn't exactly reasonable." Warned Kaminari.
"Yeah, stay safe Izu!" Piped up Uraraka.
"Pretty manly of you." Said Kirishima. Yaoyorozu rolled her eyes and Izuku laughed.
"I appreciate it, but I think it is just as womanly." Winking at the girls, and waving away a worried Iida, he left to search for his old friend? Bully? He wasn't sure.

———

Izuku didn't search the full grounds of the school, just the places Bakugou was likely to go if he was angry. He couldn't think of many outside of school, so moved onto places the blond might go if he felt sad. There was a chance after all.

The cool April air bit at his skin, but the cherry trees in full bloom warmed his heart as he strode to his old favourite brooding location to think further. He was surprised to find the goal of his search there waiting for him.
Bakugou was hunched, leaning over the side of the bridge, gazing intently across the water below, where they had played as kids all that time ago when life had been good.

He remembered.

It hurt him. He was a bully. But he was also troubled friend, and Izuku resolved to treat him as such.

"No matter how you stare, you can't go back and change your choices."
He spoke softly but Bakugou still jumped, turning to reveal his reddened eyes. He froze in shock at the sight of Izuku, before spinning away too late to hide that he'd been crying.
"Why are you here, fucker?" He growled in an embarrassing attempt to act normally.
Izuku smiled. "Because being beaten easily is never fun, and I am sure it is so much worse when you thought you were the best, and got beat by the person you believed to be the worst."
Bakugou winced slightly at his words but didn't break.
"So you're here to rub it in? Arsehole do your worst." He growled.
"I'm here to tell you I understand why you did what you did. Why you changed. And that I never held much of it against you." He answered steadily.

Izuku tucked a strand of hair out of his eyes and leant casually against the guard rail... it was a desperate attempt to make this seem like he didn't really care... but he had to try and keep this conversation as light as he could. He might just break if he didn't... and he refused to break in front of Bakugou. Not this Bakugou anyway.

"You don't ever have to apologise, I can't even think of words you could say, so you certainly couldn't. So I want to skip that and move on, or move back, to a life where we are friends and equals. Interested?"
At that, Bakugou turned to stare at him in complete shock.
"But why?" Was all he managed.
Izuku looked at him, and shrugged, a self-deprecating smile playing on his lips as he stared out across the water.
"I miss the hot tempered, rude and violent but under it all caring Kaachan I used to know. So, can I have him back? Or should I finally give up after eleven years of waiting?"

Bakugou envied how easily Izuku acknowledged his own feelings. Even if they could be seen as embarrassing, Izuku could say them with no shame at all. Unlike him.
His mouth opened and closed, unable to speak, as he stared into those shining emerald eyes. He nodded once, and relaxed a little at the happy smile the action elicited. It didn't feel like enough to him though.
He moved closer and pulled the smaller male into a cautious hug, holding him tight.
"Thank you."

They stay like that for a while until they both had stopped crying, and Bakugou had recovered enough to be more like himself.
"But don't forget, you don't fucking own me, nerd. And I have a fuck ton of questions that I'm not ashamed enough to beat out of you."
"Yeah, yeah." Izuku grinned enjoying the close contact, and whispering something before they separated and left the bridge.

———

All Might watched them leave, astonished.
He'd expected his potential successor would need his help, but Aizawa's had done the work for him.

He'd been doubtful whether Bakugou Katsuki was a wise choice, which was why he was yet to approach him, though the way he had gone to rescue the civilian from the sludge monster had called for his respect.

However, perhaps with a little help from Aizawa Izuku... Bakugou could yet prove to be the best successor for One for All. He had a strong quirk, stubborn heart and was filled with determination... but needed humility.

All Might sighed in frustration, it was clear to him, Izuku himself would make an a far better successor, but Aizawa had made him swear never to give it to his son.
He knew spotlights weren't the Aizawa way...but surely he would prefer his son to be stronger? Have a quirk to protect him and others where his own couldn't help?
Neither of their quirks were exactly suited to hero work. They were practically quirkless, and he didn't think he'd trust either to take on a real villain... but minor heroes were always necessary to deal with thieves and the like.

———

"So nerd, why did you tell me that we had to leave there?"
The duo had left the park and Izuku was leading the blond in the direction of the Aizawa house. It was an awkward walk, both finding walking side by side bizarre.
"All Might was spying on us. I didn't want him hearing answers to any of your questions. And before I answer any, I also want to speak to my dad first." Replied the greenette firmly.
Bakugou was surprised Izuku had noticed the hero's presence and he hadn't. That added another question to the fucking endless list.

"Why the fuck do you need human caterpillar's permission?"
"Kaachan, trust me this once." Sighed Izuku in exasperation. Though he had to admit he adored the nickname. Bakugou really had a gift for those.
"Tch. Fine." Growled the blond, shoving hands in his pockets in a way he thought made him look intimidating, but just told Izuku he was sulking.

———

A little bit of steadily more natural banter later, they reached the Aizawa household. Izuku led Bakugou inside the dull semi detached house, to the living room after he greeted a frosty teacher in the hallway. The greenette left him in there on a sofa with a dangerous looking Tom cat before heading to the kitchen where his father waited for an explanation.

"I want to tell him."
Aizawa glared at his son.
"Why should you trust him, Izuku? Hasn't he given you hell for years?"
Izuku quailed under his father's accusing gaze, but mustering his strength, he explained.
"It is precisely because of that. He is incredibly proud and he despises owing people. He has recently realised just how much he owes me.
Even if the villain shows up and I bounce up for a cuddle, he would completely trust me. He has known my whole history more or less, and don't you think a classmate knowing would be a good idea? Who knows what could happen over these three years...it could be really helpful having someone in a less responsible position who can cover for me if necessary."

Aizawa sighed and downed his coffee. "I see your point. He's a problem child but you seem to like those."
Izuku raised an eyebrow.
"You mean Toshi and Todoroki? Perhaps you do have a point. I may seek out what others see as lost causes, but that's only because I was one, one you found. They'll be good heroes, and good friends. I like them."
"Yeah yeah. Now go get problem child three out my living room."
"Yes sensei."
Aizawa rolled his eyes, and Izuku left the kitchen, approaching Bakugou nervously.

"So nerd?"

———

A/N: Don't panic if you think Bakugou shouldn't get it this easy. The point of this is the strength of Izuku's kindness and ability to forgive. Bakugou isn't going to be let off that lightly by the author. She promises.