5. Tayla

The door clicks shut, and I stare after him, the smell of his tangy cologne trailing behind him. The smell hit me like a Mack truck when I got close to him. Did he put on the same scent on purpose, or has he really not changed it since we split?

Once the last whiff of him is gone, I shake of my head, the spell broken, and I whirl on Sandy and Ruby. "Oh, my God. Did I agree to forge documents? Did he accuse me of lying?"

Ruby lets out a derisive laugh. "That's not even the worst part. You agreed to go on a lunch date with him." She sucks in a deep breath. "He's good. I don't remember him being that smooth."

"Definitely more confident," I say with a raised finger. "But I can handle him." Can't I? God, I hope so. I grab the dustpan and broom for the broken cup.

"He's kind of a dick," Sandy says from behind the desk. "But in a hot way. Why was he calling himself your soulmate?"

"That's Simon," Ruby says, sliding Sandy a knowing glance.

"That's Fucking Simon?" Sandy's disbelief is clear.

I wince at how crass his nickname sounds coming out of her mouth. Every other time someone said it, a zip of pride would go through me. Seeing him again leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Maybe I should finally drop the F-bomb from his name? I dump the remnants of the cup in the garbage.

"Oh, my Lord," Sandy groans. "That's why you went to New York? Did you pay for GameSetMatch, and they gave you him?"

"Uh, yep. That's the summary." I put back the broom and dustpan. "I gotta get into Mrs. Henhawk before she thinks I've forgotten. Sandy, can you track down that guy who came here a while ago who wanted to turn rescue dogs into service dogs? Do you remember him?"

Sandy laughs. "Hard to forget. I'm sure I've got his card around here somewhere. He was such a flirt. I thought for sure you'd ask for his card at some point."

"We're at that point." I flick my ponytail. "And you," I say pointing at Ruby. "Learn how to forge documents while I'm at work today, okay?"

"I kinda have to. I'm the one who talked you into doing the stupidly expensive exclusive match algorithm madness."

"Data Science, Ruby. Data Science. How could a computer get it so wrong? I'm supposed to be able to trust science." Not all science is good science. Clearly, GameSetMatchisn't as advanced as they think because there's no way Simon Buchannan is my soulmate. It's just not possible.

~ * ~

Saturday morning, I examine the letter Ruby printed off her computer and compare it to the match email Simon would have received. "You did a good job with the logo."

Ruby lets out a relieved breath. "Took me all friggin day. Photoshop and I don't get along. Dean tried to help, but he just made it worse."

"Hey!" Dean calls from the kitchen.

"I love you, but you know it's true." Ruby shrugged. "He's not going to look at it that closely. He can't want to be matched with you anymore than you want to be matched with him."

Her voice lacks conviction, and I don't believe her either. There was something about his appearance on Thursday that gave me the opposite impression. When we stood close together, when I touched his hand, desire swirled in my stomach, threatening to flood the rest of my body. How could I hate him and still find him attractive?

"He could have just ignored the emails. Or not shown up. Or opened his email and said, 'Oh, hey, Tayla Murphy, been there, done that, no need to do that again', but instead he tracked me down."

"That seems impressive to you? That he tracked you down? Do not make him into a hero. He's no Captain America."

"Ohh, Chris Evans." The face isn't right for Simon, but the build is very similar.

"He's not even a Chris Evans level of human being. I'm sure Chris never arranged a super romantic night at a restaurant, then broke up with his girlfriend, and then let the waiter pour champagne as though they'd gotten engaged."

"Don't remind me," I groan. "I had nightmares so real I woke up sick to my stomach for months afterward."

"I know. You were sleeping on my couch, remember?"

"Why did you break up?" Dean calls from the kitchen and then appears in the doorway, a plate with a sandwich in his hand.

I take a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Irony of ironies, he came back to the dinner table after being in the bathroom for like twenty minutes and told me we weren't a good long-term match." I throw out my hands. "Now, we're soulmates."

Dean takes a bite of his sandwich and chews thoughtfully. "That's fucked up."

I sink into the couch, the forged letter from Ruby in my hand. "We don't even know each other anymore. We can't be soulmates." A silly thing to say since I was willing to meet a complete stranger and buy into the idea. Si and I have history. Complicated, messy, unresolved history. At one time, I did think he was the one. If he asked me to marry him then, I would have said yes. No hesitation. I drop the paper on the couch and put my head in my hands.

"I remember you telling me when you were dating that you thought he was the one for you." Ruby says the words quietly, like she's afraid to voice them.

"I was just thinking about that too." I shake my head and stare at her. "But while I was thinking that, he was having doubts. Doubts big enough to sink us. He can't show up six years later, email or not, and pretend like that didn't happen."

"Maybe he's got regrets," Dean reasons. "He's not married yet, is he?"

I laugh. "For all I know, he's been married and divorced six times. Or maybe he's considering cheating on his wife. He had someone else all set up for himself when he dumped me." My mind latches onto this mythical wife, clueless like me, sitting at home thinking their relationship is #lifegoals when it's really 'Iceberg, right ahead.' I check the time and snatch the letter off the couch, grabbing my purse. "I gotta go or I'll be late. I just want to get this over with and put him back in the rearview mirror."

"I hear you," Ruby says, following me to her front door. "I wouldn't even order any food. Give him the letter and peace out."

I manage a smile. "And maybe just a quick kick to the balls on my way to the exit."

Dean chuckles behind me. "I guess that's why you and my wife are best friends. She'd go for the parting sack shot too."

"Damn right," Ruby says. "I'm glad you realize it." She winks at him and holds the door for me.

"Wish me luck?"

"You don't need luck, Tay. If all else fails, lay on the guilt. Tell him he owes you one."

In my car, I grip the steering wheel and stare into space before starting the engine. Last night, I dug Simon's shoe box out of the back of my closet. I fiddled with the lid, but I didn't let myself open it. Ruby and I symbolically burned concert tickets and love notes in a drunken rage one night.

In the box were things that couldn't be burned. The temptation to go down memory lane was strong. Life isn't about going backward though. So, I shoved the box under my shoe rack and vowed to post all the sellable items on a buy and sell site after I got rid of Simon for good.

I glance at the letter on the passenger seat. This madness ends today. He owes me.

Author's Note:

What's Simon going to think of her letter? 🤔🤔

Enjoying the story so far? ⭐️Leave me a star.⭐️

Reads: 677                              Unique readers: 45