38. Tayla

As much as I want my money back, I can't crush Simon when he's standing right next to me, and when he's as aware of the truth as everyone else in the room seems to be. Are Simon and I compatible? Yes. Does that mean GameSetMatch isn't a fraud? I don't know.

"We are compatible," I say, carefully. "But when I expressed dissatisfaction at the match, I think your company should have immediately offered me another one."

Simon shoves his hands into the pockets of his pants beside me, his shoulders slumping.

That is how I felt the day we were matched. Now? I'm in a tailspin on a ride I didn't sign up for, or rather signed up for in a drunken fit, and I'm not sure how to get off. Tomorrow I'm moving to fucking Scotland.

All morning my mind's been on a tilt-a-world circling everything Simon said in bed. My brain is mush, and I really needed to be on the top of my game during this conversation. I want my money back, but given those women weren't exactly straight with me, I'm less concerned about getting their cuts returned. They could have told me GameSetMatch would offer other options, instead they let me believe I was riding to the rescue.

"That's a training issue," Michael concedes. "To the best of our knowledge, your experience of being matched with an ex has never happened before. We don't have any documentation of it happening. Your concern should have been escalated, and for that, we apologize."

Jessica takes a slip of paper out of the folder in front of her. "We're prepared to offer you a new match or a refund if you really feel our matching system got it wrong with Mr. Buchannan. But you will need to sign a non-disclosure agreeing never to speak of the settlement or discuss GameSetMatch in a derogatory manner."

"So, I can get my money back, but I can't ever tell anyone that I think you're a shitty company." I summarize.

Jessica winces. "Hopefully, the refund takes the sting out of being matched with an ex-boyfriend you claim isn't a good fit." Her lips twist, and it's clear she still thinks the program got it right.

Doesn't matter. If she's giving me my money back, that's all I want. Leave the country and never look back.

Why does that thought cause my stomach to roll?

"Mr. Buchannan, for the trouble we've caused you, we're also offering you monetary compensation, but you'll need to sign the same non-disclosure agreement."

"I just want out of the database. I never want to be matched again." He runs a hand through his hair before shoving it back into his front pocket. "Can you guarantee this won't happen again?"

"Absolutely. We can ban your email address. So, if you do sign up for online dating again at some point, we won't collect your account a second time." Michael takes out papers from his folder and passes them across the table to Simon.

The thought of Simon dating someone else, being with someone else is a vice around my chest. Tears prick at my eyes. Why hasn't this reality crossed my mind before now?

Think of something else. You can't cry in here. Focus on this moment.

They didn't know we were coming, but they've managed to get the relevant paperwork together with little notice. Should I refuse to sign the NDA, tell them we're doing a social media campaign to let everyone know they're not as good as they claim? What proof do I have anymore? A gut instinct.

Jennifer and Sherri didn't leave the service completely emptyhanded. Is it still extraordinarily expensive? Yeah. But they don't hide their costs, and according to Jessica and Michael everything I could ever want to know about GameSetMatch is out in the world in their free eBook.