Ch 23 ~ Horses and Princes

Morning had come, and I had fallen asleep in the stables. The pale trickle of dawn filters in through the wooden shafts of the roof, watery rays of sunlight illuminating my surroundings. My brothers had left last night, though I hadn't even bothered to go see them off, knowing that I would have probably done something stupid to keep them from going without me.

The objective of their mission was the only reason I let them leave without causing a commotion.

My mother needed help. And I would be damned if I was the one to hinder her best chance at getting it, whether that chance involved me or not.

Pulling myself up from the pile of hay I was resting against, I brush the dirt off my pants and run a hand through my golden, tangled hair, attempting to tame it. Surveying my surroundings with sleepy eyes, I try to decide what to do with myself now that I was on my own. I no longer had a course of direction, or a known reason, for my stay.

A sharp whiny jolts me out of my sleepy thoughts, startling me.

Turning to my left, I see a snow-white stallion snorting down at me, reminding me of my unwitting hosts for the night. He huffs a breath into my face and I crinkle my nose. A better look at the horse has me recognizing him as the same one Nëniel rode yesterday, the feisty spark in his dark eyes unmistakable.

I chuckle as his wet nose nuzzles my cheek, his head reaching out of the pen.

"Good morning to you too, handsome," I coo, stroking his thick mane.

He shakes his head, clearly pleased with the term, causing me to chuckle again.

"What is your name, I wonder?" I muse as he rests his heavy head in my open hands, acting more like a dog than a horse.

A voice from behind me answers my question.

"He doesn't have one."

Glancing over my shoulder to the male voice behind me, I see the Prince walking into the stables, clad in simple leather armor, his steps light.

Dread instantly coil in my stomach, before I can even place the reason for it. My mind is still a muddle, trying to sort out fact from fiction from our encounter yesterday, desperately attempting to understand it. And the incentive behind it.

But still, his words and actions make little sense to me, and I find myself quickly turning from him to face the unnamed stallion once more. I hear his footsteps make their way over to the pen next to mine but firmly concentrate on running my hand through the horse's smooth mane.

"Barely over 18 months, that one," he muses as he gives the stallion a quick glance over, his voice nonchalant, unlike my thoughts which now spin and rage in my head.

"He hasn't got a rider yet," he finishes, throwing me a glance.

I bury any emotions that may have risen to my face as I force myself to face him, my brow furrowing in confusion at his statement.

"I thought he was Nëniel's mount. She rode him yesterday to come return me to the palace," I point out, finally letting my eyes meet his.

Only for his eyes to tear away from mine, and return to studying the horse.

"That's only because Nëniel's own mount is currently unavailable. Her mare injured herself during a training exercise a couple of weeks ago," he explains, eyes still surveying the horse. "In fact, that one has been quite hard to find a rider for. He's quite the rebel. I'm surprised you managed to even get that close to him, never mind touch him."

He pauses, a thoughtful look crossing his face, and finally meets my gaze. "You could have him if you'd like. He seems to have warmed up to you."

His lips tug into a smug grin . "Besides, you seem to share the same temper."

Despite my previous confusion, I feel my heart lighten at his offer, a smile tugging onto at my lips despite my best efforts to hide it. I quickly twist it into a smirk, hiding my genuine gratitude under arrogance typical of myself.

"Are you implying that I have a bad temper, Highness?" I tease, raising a brow as I lean against the wooden door frame of the stall, angling my hips in a mocking pout.

His eyes spark. "And if I am?"

I catch the taunting edge in his tone as a playful spark lights my own eyes as well.

"Well then, I think that my horse and I shall take our foul tempers and never speak to you again," I jest, lifting my chin in mock haughtiness.

He chuckles and responds with a wink that threatens to crumble my mask of typical arrogance and charm, sending my heart fluttering softly.

He turns from me, walking further down the stables and stops in front of a chestnut colored mare in her pen, murmuring soft greetings to her as he opens to stall door.

I feel a smile tug at my lips but I quickly wipe it away before it can be noticed, turning back to the snowy stallion beside me and scratching him behind his soft ears.

"Asfaloth," I murmur softly to him as he nuzzles my arm, causing a small grin to flicker across my face. "I'll name you Asfaloth."

He seems to approve of the name, sending a soft snort into my face that ruffles my already-wild hair.

I wrinkle my nose at his breath.

"Thanks for that," I mutter with a smirk.

There's a mischievous glint in the horse's eyes as he gazes back at me.

'You should smell your own breath' he seems to taunt back at me.

I just give him an amused glare.

Our silent conversation is interrupted when the Prince speaks again, reminding me of his presence.

"I'm surprised you didn't put up more of a fight last night," he comments, his voice strong but not judgmental. Glancing up to me he adds, "With your brothers, I mean."

I meet his eyes, my smile faltering as I shrug my shoulders lazily.

"Elrohir is a tough one to get through to," I say, crossing my arms as I lean against the wooden door frame again. "If an order comes from our father, he'd be the last of the four of us to go against it."

His eyes study my face. "Do you have any idea why you were ordered to stay?"

His tone remains inquisitive, though his blue eyes soften slightly.

I feel my shoulders droop at the concern in his gaze, his question resurfacing my disappointment from last night.

The sudden change in my attitude seems to be enough of an answer for him as he gives me a small sympathetic nod and turns back to his horse.

Turning away, I glance down at the floor, fighting back the confusion and hopelessness that threatens to overtake me. My thoughts return to yesterday, to the reason for me staying, the reason Elrohir would not tell me. What could possibly be so important about this visit, that my father would keep me here?

The unlocking of a pen jolts me from my thoughts and I twist around to see the Prince lead his mare out of her pen, clicking his tongue to her as he makes his way over to the entrance.

"Are you going out for a ride?" I call to him.

He halts in the bright door, the sun already risen in the sky behind him, a hand on the back of the mare's neck as he glances back at me. His chin dips in confirmation, and his warm eyes find mine, already extending a silent invitation.

I find myself suddenly shy at the kindness in his gaze.

Though I already know his answer, I find myself asking, "Might I join you? I need to clear my head, and-" I frown as I concede to admit, "-and I don't know this forest well enough to go wandering on my own."

A faint smile tugs at his lips as he sketches a slight bow.

"It would be a pleasure, my lady."