05.30.2284 - A Night In the Wasteland

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." - James Dean

"So how does it work?" Nate asked peering over Lyle's shoulder.

Lyle twisted the knob and pushed the buttons,"I really don't know, but it's pretty cool."

"Well what is it used for?" Nate asked lighting the campfire.

"It's some kind of data storage device, I found these books on lock-picking and I was able to get into that room in the back. Here check these out," Lyle said tossing Nate a bottle of purified water.

"No way!" Nate exclaimed ripping off the cap.

"We are set for days, tons of the stuff. Oh and I found this," Lyle winked, pulling a varmint rifle off his back.

Nate's eyes shone, "Mine?"

"Not so fast kiddo, you can have dad's pistol." Lyle said handing him the beaten gun.

Nate crossed his arms like a pouty kid, "Whatever, where'd that Pip-Boy come from anyway?"

Lyle recalled the stories of Vault-Dwellers his mother had told him about. "You know those Vault-Dwellers I told you about?"

"Yeah."

"Well, I guess a roach must've found a way in and accidentally swallowed it."

Straightening up Nate had an idea, "That means there's a vault nearby. Hey Lyle?"

"Uh-huh."

"You want to go on an adventure?" Nate asked hopefully.

"Well seeing as we have enough supplies and that mart is cleaned out, I don't see a reason why not." Lyle responded, "but first, let's just spend one more night in the wasteland. Okay?"

"Yes! I'll take first watch," Nate said gripping the pistol and a box of fat-boys.

"Okay, just wake me up," murmured Lyle, his eyes dropping shut.