Chapter 10: The thief

Lucia Mooncrest POV

Today we are planning to head to the marketplace. I've seemed to have run out of a few essential ingredients and supplies such as soap and so on.

It was hustling and bustling. Citizens bumping into people as they hurried off to work. Not even apologizing. I could hear the sound of crunching dirt from all the feet's trotting on the ground. The smell of freshly slaughter meat that was hung out wafted through the air. Flies buzzing around like the pest they are. As I walked through the crowd, I could smell the freshly baked oven good, it smelt mouth-watering.

One could hear the banging of metal from all the caged animals ramming into it as to try and escape. There was a mix of many smells from the rancid body odour of sweaty men to the smell of grilling pork. I heard many shop owners marketing their prices by yelling it from the top of their lungs. Customers on the other hand were haggling prices.

The footpaths were crowded with stalls selling sacks of nuts and dried fruit, or meat roasting on roasting skewers. Powdered spices lay in rust red and dusty yellow piles, or spilled bright green from sacks as large as feed bags. Rich and unfamiliar scents cut through the smell of engines, so heavy she could taste them in her mouth, like the air inside a fabrication green house.

The crowd is a river of people, everyone moving in the same direction. There are only joyful faces as we head toward the stadium for the greatest rock concert on earth - music to fill us chock full of adrenaline pumping happiness. We move not like pebbles in a jar, but like water molecules flowing smoothly past one another, friends staying together with fingers entwined.

Yep, this is the marketplace I have grown to love. Actually I take that back, it's absolutely filthy. Plus there are some horrible people.

I weaved through the crowds, edging through the dense flow of people with his bags getting fuller by the minute. The air was perfumed with produce, the ground was gritty stone and the air a perfect pre-winter chill. The footpaths were crowded with stalls selling sacks of nuts and dried fruit, or meat roasting on. I was currently haggling prices for some meat. But the butcher seemed to not be taking it, so I faked leaving. Thus ended up getting the price I wanted. If they lost one customer, they would be losing precious profit.

As much I dislike doing this, this is how this society works. I need to save money, it is a precious resource one needs to live a decent life. Not only in this society but also modern time. Me and Abanus were chatting merrily.

Although he was reluctant to drop the topic from yesterday, he didn't prie into it anymore. Probably realising it was a sensitive topic. This made me relived, but I have a feeling I would probably need to tell them sooner or later. That is the moment I've been dreading. But that's awhile away.

A warm and larger hand grasps mine. I turn my head to Abanus who was smiling happily. Like a ball of sunshine. A chuckle leaves my lips as we enjoy each other's company. As we were about to purchase some fruits someone snatches my money pouch.

A gust of wind rushes past me, the thief rushed away like a mouse after cheese. Abanus wasted no time and sprinted off. I quickly trail behind; we weaved our way through the large crowd occasionally crashing into people. It was hard to keep up with him, the crowd was pushing me back.

Luckily I managed to catch up. Abanus leaped towards the robber like a leopard, catching the thief. What lay on the floor was a child who was extremely to the point you could see his bone. This sort of thing was quite common out here. The bony child managed to squeeze out miraculously as he stabbed Abanus in the chest.

The blade was sharp enough to cut flesh as if it posed no resistance. At once a fountain of red came from the wound. What had been a blank canvas only moments before became "painted". The scarlet blood lashed over the apartment, painting the scene. Abanus was surprisingly calm, completely unphased. This shocked my quite a lot. My lips parted slightly as I rushed over to his side