Chapter 9

Date: 11/3/2020

AN: Posting purely on instinct. Hope you like it. Also, I love visuals so I usually add a lot of photos. However, since the mood of this story is rather somber, I am refraining myself. 

____________________________________________________________________________

Ratana Suthiluck felt a soft smile spread on her face as she watched her grandson elegantly greet all the guests gathered at the mansion for a party to celebrate the production of the company's newest home automation system. Boonsri, slim and sophisticated, stood beside Kongpob in her classy lilac one-shoulder dress. From afar, they did look good together and she knew many of her guests might be jealous. But only the three of them knew the truth, not even Kongpob's dad had been included.

It had been almost three weeks and she had seen the young man work diligently for this project and also other assignments. Her grandson thought he was being subtle, but nothing had ever missed the matriarch's eyes. She knew her conditions, one condition, in particular, had been driving Kongpob to the brink. Her grandson was prolonging coming home, he didn't want to relax his mind in the least so as to not let it wander. The lady's eyes overcome with sadness. She could see from across the room how her grandson had lost weight, how he had applied makeup to cover those dark circles, how his smile didn't reach his eyes. She saw how Kongpob looked like he was bearing a constant pain and was trying his best to hide it. Her heart suddenly felt heavy and she had to head to the washroom. Unfortunately, it was too early for her to end the party and retire, even if that was all she wanted to do tonight.

When lady Suthiluck joined back the party about fifteen minutes later, she didn't see her grandson anywhere. She headed straight out of the hall and towards the backyard garden, where she knew Kongpob would be taking a few moments. It was his favorite place after all. She saw the silhouette of the young man, leaning on the wall, staring out at the night sky.

If Kongpob realized that the old lady had come and was leaning beside him, he didn't let on.

The grandma said, "I thought you would be smoking.."

The young man snorted, still looking straight ahead, "I gave up smoking almost five years ago.."

"I know, but this moment..the situation.."

"If I am to be loyal to you, I am also going to be loyal to him.."

The old lady made an incomprehensible sound, "He made you stop smoking.."

"He asked me to think about you and my family who love me very much..."

"Hmm. You offered to pay for his degree.."

Kongpob chuckled and shook his head, "It was just for two semesters and he already had a partial scholarship."

Grandma didn't say anything, just grunted.

"If not fees, then I begged him to let me pay for his aunt's treatment. I even went directly to the doctor in charge but was adamant everything had been taken care of. I don't know what he did, but it was almost like he knew I would do something like that. So he made a fail-proof plan so I couldn't sneak money anyway."

"Most people would jump at the chance to let a Suthinluck pay, even if it's just for a meal."

"My Phii is not most people..."

Lady Suthiluck shrugged, "Why would someone go these lengths, anyway?"

"He said he didn't want to owe me anything. I guess, he had already decided that we wouldn't be together, and that when we do have to separate it would be a clean cut."

Grandma could see what Kongpob was telling her. In the short meeting with Arthit, she had realized that the man held his integrity at the highest level and that he would rather starve than ask anyone for help. She had also found out how hard he was working, considering he had a few debts from the medical expenses still to be paid. Not having finished his degree was a problem as he couldn't get any good job or the job of his caliber, which the lady had surprisingly realized was quite high. That's how life plays though. Even after having the potential, there was this young man who was struggling to make ends meet.

The two didn't sayanything and stood there in silence, just taking in the night breeze. LadySuthiluck observed her grandson. His shoulders were slumped, his face had agloomy and lost look. Maybe she had beentoo hard on the young man. Well, she can't go back on her words now. She willmake everything right when the time comes. Looked like it was time to meet Arthit again.

____________________________________________________________________________

AN: Thoughts?