Chapter 2 - Empty clouds

JAYDIN
🇺🇲 Manhattan,
Saturday, 06:10 a.m.

"You can't be serious! We agreed on a hundred thousand dollars and not a penny less!", I heard my mother yell from my place on the terrace and rolled my eyes the next second, as I saw her trying to lull Mae to sleep at the same time.

I mean, how stupid can you get.

"Good morning, Mommy." My little sister Fleur now entered the breakfast room as well, plodding over to the table along with her cuddly unicorn. Expectantly, she took a seat in her chair and shortly after lowered her head when, like every other morning, she received no response from Roseanne.
"Good morning, Griffin," she therefore greeted our butler, who was already twirling in the open kitchen, making me take a big drag on my cigarette. It cracked me up that really everyone, except him, was ignoring this girl.

Including me.

"Good morning, Fleur. What can I get you today?" he greeted her and gave her a gentle smile, which my sister returned only briefly.

"Just some cereal, please. You already have enough to deal with with everyone else's breakfast." Fleur stroked her hair, which was adorned with barrettes, and now let her cuddly unicorn peek over the edge of the counter as well.

"Oh, no, Fleur. I'll be happy to whip up anything you like. You just have to say so, okay?"

"You don't have to. I get just as full from cereal."

"Are you sure?"

"'Absolutely sure'." My sister nodded slightly, and Griffin looked at her gratefully. After all, hardly anyone in our family was as loving with him as Fleur was. And yes-

Even that, including me.

"Good morning." Just as I was about to take another drag, a totally sleepy voice was heard and I saw my brother enter the room.

"Good morning, Aiden." Griffin greeted him as well, turned to him, and then helped him climb onto his chair.

Although he could do that just fine on his own.

"Did you sleep well?"

"Like a log," Aiden replied, chuckling, then looked at Mom, who was still engrossed in what seemed to be a very important conversation. "Good morning, Mommy." Trying to get her attention, Aiden now got louder and repeated his greeting a second time with such vigor, that even Roseanne couldn't ignore him any longer:

"Good morning, honey. Eat well."

Wow, what a conversation.

"Here you go, Fleur." Griffin positioned the bowl of cereal on her placemat and immediately turned to Aiden, "And what can I get you, young man?"

"Hmmm, good question." My brother put on a thoughtful face, "How about waffles? Waffles with chocolate sauce!"

"Waffles with chocolate sauce? Aiden, you know very well that we can't have chocolate in the morning. Besides, it takes way too long and Griffin still has to make our lunches and-"

"So what? I don't care about that! And I'm ALWAYS allowed to eat chocolate! After all, I'm Mama's little prince!"

Uhu. At least that's how you act, mini macho.

"Sure you are," Fleur also acknowledged, rolling her eyes, and then heaved a sigh, "Just have some cereal or a berry salad, too. It'll make you just as full and-"

"No! I want chocolate!" Aiden, now defiant, crossed his arms in front of his chest and began crying on cue, "Mommmyyy!"

Geez. What a crybaby.