Chapter 20 - Filly the fairy

★JAYDIN★

"Looks like we've got a visitor," I whispered to Mae and then looked out of the window where Lani was marching straight towards.

Let's see what crawling bug was up to this time.

"Hey," a voice said less than a minute later and I didn't even have to turn around to recognize her.

"Hey."

"Can I, eh, can I come in for a minute?"

"Sure." Slowly, I laid Mae down in her crib, "But quietly. She's pretty much asleep."

What the-, had I seriously just said that?

"Oh, sure. I'm as quiet as a bat," Lani whispered and then stepped in slowly: "What's she doing?"

"Drooling all over my sweater and farting in one go." I wagged my nose around demonstratively and then carefully covered Mae up.

"Haha, I see."

"And you, what are you doing?" I carefully turned out the light, then pushed Lani out of the room and closed the door: "Or should I ask - what do you want?"

"Huh, nothing, I-"

"Spit it out."

Well," she started somewhat louder, "first and foremost, I wanted to check on you, to offer you help if necessary and-"

"And secondly?" My voice sounded rough.

"And secondly," she repeated timidly and barely audible, "I wanted to ask if you could accompany me and the kids to the movies tonight, help me find a-"

"Hahaha, dream on." I burst out laughing, interrupting her, "I've already taken pity on you and looked after Mae. You didn't even thank me for that." I looked at her coldly.

Lani snorted.

"Wow, thank you! A thousand, no million heartfelt thanks for taking care of YOUR baby sister for half an hour!" Frustrated, she looked up: "Should I kiss your feet to make up for it?"

"Haha, nope, not necessary. But I'd like to feel your lips a few centimetres higher," I replied cheekily and undid the button on my jeans, which immediately caused Lani to blush shamefully and turn around on the spot.

Gotcha.

"Calm down, crawling bug. That was a joke." Smirking, I zipped up my pants and turned Lani back to face me: "But seriously," I said again, frowning, "You didn't think I'd come with you, did you? I mean, why would I even consider getting into a car with you and the devil worshippers, huh?"

"Hmh, I don't know." Lani shrugged her shoulders: "Maybe to prove to your siblings and me that you're not completely indifferent to them and that you can be someone other than a cold bitch?"

"But I can't," I said disinterestedly. Even though it kind of hurt when Lani called me that.

"Please." Changing her strategy now, she looked at me pleadingly: "I promised Fleur and Aiden."

"Not my problem."

"But-"

"Don't give them false hope next time," I replied calmly, keeping a straight face.

Lani looked at me in disappointment. "Is that your last word?"

"My very last." Winking at her, I turned to leave but was then pulled back by her: "Why can't you give in for once, huh? You're so bloody exhausting! When I saw you with Mae and how loving you were with her, I was thrilled and hopeful that you could actually take responsibility for someone else these days. That you've changed or can change to some extent." Sighing, she continued: "But no. You're doing your ice princess thing all over again and acting like you don't give a shit! As if your siblings are trash that you can just throw in the garbage can!"