Chapter 13 - Crawling bug

LANI

"Top of the morning Lani," Roseanne greeted me with a smile as she sipped her peppermint tea, "Did you sleep well?"

"Like a rock."

"A rock?"

"Ehm, yes, it's an expression from Germany and means that you slept very well," I explained with a grin, to which Roseanne nodded in relief:

"I'm glad." She handed me a glass of water, "And apart from that? Were there any occurrences the night?"

"O-occurrences?" Snorting, since I had choked on the water after all, I looked at her, "W-what did you hear?"

"Uh, nothing, I just wanted to check." A little irritated, Roseanne frowned and I quickly forced a smile:

"Oh, well then," I exhaled deeply, "there were zero occurrences the night. The little ones fell asleep quickly, I only had to give Mae the bottle once and I didn't hear a peep from Jaydin either."

"Not a peep?" Roseanne eyed me with a stony expression, "Then she was certainly on a roll again." Her tone sounded snide and I swallowed hard.

Why did she assume that? I hadn't mentioned anything like that at all, had I?

"I, um, don't think so, Roseanne. I think your daughter went to bed early, too, and-"

"Ha, you don't know my oldest, Lani! She does whatever she wants and if you didn't hear from her yesterday, then she couldn't have been here at all!" Pissed off, Roseanne pushed back her chair and then angrily stomped out of the kitchen.

Well, great.

"Good morning, Miss Berger," a voice suddenly spoke up, and a dark-haired man dressed in tails entered the room. "I'm Griffin, the butler of the house."

Of course you are.

"Eh, pleased to meet you. I'm Lani. The aupair."

"Yes, I'm familiar with that." He laughed gallantly, then moved behind the counter, "Do you have a breakfast request? I also have scrambled eggs with bacon or white sausage and sweet mustard here. I heard they eat that quite often in Germany?"

"Well, at least in Bavaria," I said, chuckling, and then pointed to the fruit basket, "But could I just get a sweet salad and some cereal?"

"But of course." Griffin offered me a quick smile and then did as he was told, "May I ask what else you're up to today, Lani?"

"Ehm, good question," I answered haltingly, then thought about it for a moment.

"Are you going to see the city, go shopping, or-"

"I'm thinking to do both." A wide smirk graced my lips and Griffin nodded in understanding:

"Well, I hope you have fun doing that."

"Thank you."

"Have fun doing what?" a sleepy voice suddenly asked, and Fleur plodded in, overtired. Her stuffed unicorn under her arm.