Chapter 14 - Emergency

"Ugh, math sucked," Rasco groaned in exasperation, then took a big drag of his cigarette. "Who the hell made this shit up anyway, huh? How the hell do you come up with combining numbers with letters and then even including height differences like x²?"

"Woah, calm down for a sec." Leyla, his girlfriend laughed with amusement, "If you had studied like me, you would have passed the test with ease and wouldn't have to cry about it now."

"I'm not!" Rasco rolled his eyes, "But I'm allowed to vent my anger and get upset about this bullshit, aren't I, Jaydin?"

"Huh?" Since I hadn't really been listening to either of them, I now turned to Rasco in irritation and looked at him questioningly.

"Where are you with your thoughts?", Leyla echoed a little resentfully, and I exhaled the smoke in annoyance.

"No idea."

"No idea, or do you just not want to tell us her name?" Grinning, Don now poked me in the side and wiggled his eyebrows suggestively afterward.

Son of a bitch.

"Cut it out already," I hissed at him, shoving him away from me.

"Why, does that provoke you?" he asked knowingly, and I clenched my hands into fists to keep from punching him.

Lani's wrist had looked pretty swollen early on. Should I have given her our doctor's number or-,

„Er, hello, Earth to Jaydin." Amused, Rasco was now also waving his hands around in front of my face, and then kept tapping me gently.

Jesus Christ.

"Rasco, if you don't want to walk around with motorized arms for the rest of your life, I advise you to remove your hands from my sight immediately," I said completely calmly, inwardly spitting fire.

"Woah, calm down, girl." Instantly, the curly-haired guy retracted his arms and then rededicated himself to his cigarette, "You're even more insufferable than usual today."

"Hmph, true. She kind of is," Leyla stated quietly, looking at me thoughtfully. "Are you all right?"

"Uhu. I'm fine."

"Really?" She flashed me an encouraging smile, which I only half noticed because I had turned back to my side. "I, eh, I have to go to the bathroom. Do you want to walk with me for a minute, Jay?"

"Nah, not really."

"Aww, please, Jay. I've got my period and-"

" Fair enough." Exasperated, I tossed my cigarette on the floor and then followed her shuffling into the break room.

After all, we had an agreement, and that agreement stipulated that I would accompany her to the bathroom when necessary, and she would cover for me when I slept in again or just didn't feel like attending class at all.

"So," Leyla started after a while, pursing her lips, which I acknowledged with a tired smile.

"Don't even start." Through my reflection, I shot her a warning look, "My part of the deal only calls for escorting you to the bathroom. Answering to you is not part of it."