Chapter 6 - Changes

JAYDIN
🇺🇲 Manhattan,
Sunday, 02:00 a.m.

"Um, did you forget how to speak, Roseanne? I thought you were going to have a serious talk with me?", I asked my mother unnerved and rolled my eyes right after, as she still made no effort to move, but just kept staring at me.

Well, if looks could kill...

"You know, all this fooling around with Price has really made me tired, and if you don't have anything more to say-" I slowly rose from my seat and was about to disappear back upstairs when Roseanne gruffly pulled me back:

"SIT DOWN! NOW!"

"Woah, it's okay."

"NO, NOTHING IS OKAY! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!" she continued to yell at me and I flinched barely noticeably.

Wow, she hadn't been this mad in a long time.

"Jaydin," her voice sounded a lot more sane now, "I told you that everything would change starting tomorrow, and this time I'm keeping my promise."

Uhu.

"Meaning?"

"Well," my mother restarted, "I've really been thinking a lot lately about our current situation and how I can patch things up between us, Jaydin."

Patch things up? Haha, there's nothing to patch at all.

"However, that was prior to you putting your little sister's life in danger and now I can't even trust you to take care of your siblings." She sighed, "And to get this as well as other problems out of the way, I'm going to-"

"Finally put the little ones up for adoption?", I asked her with a grin, which made my mother suck in a sharp breath:

"No! Absolutely not." She rolled her eyes, "And finally stop acting like you don't care! Because you won't get far with that attitude!"

"Hm, maybe, but up till now I'm doing pretty well with it," I replied cheekily and winked at Roseanne, which she acknowledged with a frustrated shake of her head:

"Well, anyway," she continued after a while, "I've now hired an au pair for the coming period, who will be helping us out from tomorrow onwards, and will hopefully contribute to improving our family life. Her name is Lani and she is coming all the way from Germany."

Lani? Germany? Wtf.

"Uh, are you completely nuts, Roseanne? An au pair? Living here with this family? As if I don't struggle enough being your daughter, no, now you're bringing some stranger who makes me look even more ridiculous in front of my friends? Why don't you just put a sign on my neck saying: I can't take care of myself or my siblings, huh?"

"Well, that wouldn't even be a lie!" my mother said angrily, intensifying her stare.

How dare she?

"My decision is made, Jaydin. And if you don't want to spend next summer at a boarding school, you're going to help Lani feel comfortable here and also treat her with respect when she starts high school next week, got it?"