Chapter 5 - Voice of unreason

JAYDIN
🇺🇲 Manhattan,
Saturday, 11:13 p.m.

"I know, Ian. Can't promise anything," I ended the conversation with my best friend and was about to sneak down the stairs when I saw that there was still light in Fleur's room and Roseanne was walking towards her bed.

Hmm, let's see what she blames her for this time.

"Hey there, why are you still up? Is everything okay?"

"Nah, Cotton's not doing that well." Pointing to the second bed in the room, Fleur snuggled even closer to her stuffed unicorn, "I guess she won't be able to sleep all night."

"Oh, that's bad." Roseanne settled down next to her, "What's wrong with her?"

"I don't know. She doesn't talk to me anymore."

"Oh," my mother said, stroking Fleur's head with a sigh, "well, sometimes that's the way it is, you know? Sometimes you just can't tell what's wrong and you'd rather stay quiet." She tucked Fleur in a little more, "But if Cotton wants to talk, tell her she can reach out anytime and I'll help her if she needs it, okay?"

Ha, as if.

"Okay."

"Great."" Roseanne pressed a kiss to my sister's forehead, "Then get some sleep now. It's getting late and school's tomorrow."

"All right," Fleur replied, "You get a good night's sleep too Mom."

Yes, and make sure you don't choke on all your lies by accident, I added in my mind, then moved away from the door and headed downstairs.

I couldn't take any more of that bullshit.

:¨-.-¨:
'-. Roseanne's POV°*゚

"Thanks honey. I sure will." With a smile on my lips, I stroked my little girl's cheek.

She was such a sweet child. Truly caring and attentive.

"Oh, before I forget," I reminded myself frantically, then slowly stood up, "Starting the day after tomorrow, we'll have a girl move in with us, and she'll watch over you and your siblings for a while."

"Watch over us? Why? Can't Jaydin do that?"

Huh, I wish.

"No sweetie," I said softly and let out a sigh, "She proved to me once again that she can't even stay alone with you guys for hours and I'm certainly not going to put you at that kind of risk again."

"Hmm, I see." A little crestfallen, Fleur looked down at her cuddly unicorn.

Crap. Had I spoken too harshly about her sister? How could I bring her back to being happy?

"The girl is from Germany!"

"From Germany? That's far away from us, isn't it?"

"Um, well, at least as far away as she'll have to go by plane."

"Oh, that sounds very far," Fleur worriedly stated, then looked at me with her big brown eyes, "She'll definitely miss her mommy then."

Awww.

"Yes, she might, but we'll just be really kind to her and help her feel comfortable here, okay? Then I'm sure her homesickness won't be too bad."

"Okay, not a problem for me," she said with a smile, "but it could become one for Aiden."

"No, I'm sure it won't." I shook my head sternly, then turned out the light, "I've already talked to him and he's agreed to be on his best behavior. As I hope you will too."