Trying.

I had tried to escape again. It did not go so well. The guards yanked at my arms as they dragged me down the halls. Grace and Ronaldo were not happy with me.

I had been here so long that I knew all my guards names, and somehow managed to pick up a bit of their backstory along the way. 

Janice used to be a dentist and now she was a cold hearted guard working full time for this place.

Carter was an insurance worker, and was really successful, and worked alongside my favourite guard, Ronaldo.

Grace was a hairdresser back before this place picked her up from WICKED's clutches, according to Ronaldo. She didn't talk much. 

Ronaldo, on the other hand, talked way too much for his own good. He told me all about his family and how they all turned into cranks. I barely cry, but the way he tells his stories when we walked down the halls to the cafeteria, made me tear up  bit. 

Grace and Ronaldo were my regular guards. They escorted me places, brought me my food when I wasn't allowed to leave my room (after I had caused trouble), and sometimes, were the only people I saw for days. Grace would do my hair sometimes after showers, despite my protests. My blue hair did look good in a french braid, nevertheless.

No other kid who lived here at this 'home away from home' had guards. I was trouble. Janson has many names for me, but troublemaker was his favorite. But he also used 'out of control maniac' quite frequently.

It was my fifth week since I had been found by these guys outside my maze and brought here.  These people were in no hurry to ship me off. I didn't know why, because I thought they might want to ship me off if Janson hated me that much.

My guards stopped walking and released my wrists. Ronaldo bent down a bit to my eye level. He sighed and Grace stood behind me. "Look Maya," he said with a hint of exhaustion in his voice. "You need to stop trying to escape. I know I've given you this talk before, but we are good people. We are trying to help you, and we all care about you."

"You are extremely valuable to the survival of the human race," Grace chirped, her voice slightly strained with frustration. "Please try to make the right decision and stop making this harder for us and you!"

I shrugged and tucked a strand of my blue hair behind my ear. "I've been here for five weeks, and I know something's wrong here."

Ronaldo stood up and looked at Grace, his expression downtrodden. "Me and Grace have to go and do a couple things, so we're gonna trust you to bring yourself to the cafeteria. There are some new arrivals, so don't scare them too much."

Just as I was about to open my mouth and door opened close to us and a guard followed by a boy walked out. He was a newbie, I could just tell by the way he walked. My guards whispered something to his guard and they nodded. Ronaldo patted the guard on his back and turned to me. "This is Thomas," he gestured to the dark haired teen and the guy smiled at me. I rolled my eyes and turned my attention back to Ronaldo. "He's a new arrival. You'll walk with him to the cafeteria. No funny business because Carl here is coming with you."

The new guard stepped up, and looked down at me with a menacing glare. I nodded and waved off Grace and Ronaldo. "Kay, bye," I dismissed, and kept on walking.

Thomas caught up with me eventually, the guard close behind us. "Hey, what's your name?" The kid asked, sounding drained and worried.

"Maya," I replied, and I glanced at his big brown eyes. He was slightly taller than me and looked around sixteen, seventeen, my age. I could tell by his eyes, he had been through a lot, and wasn't ready to believe what these people were feeding him, like me. I inched closer to him and half-whispered, "Don't trust anyone," but I was cut off when we reached the cafeteria doors. I pushed them open and stepped into the huge room of kids, all sitting, eating and chatting happily, not a care in the world.