Searching.

Serena and Michelle came from the bedroom after Ellen, their eyes wide, clearly spooked. Ellen took a step into the hallway and raised an eyebrow at me, then looked at my friends, from Newt, to Minho, to Frypan, Teresa, Jorge, then back to me.

"Ellen! Why do you have gun!" I shouted, give Newt's arm a squeeze, signaling him to calm down, who went tense at the sight of a gun.

"Uh," she mumbled, looking down at the weapon in her hand. "I heard shouting, and voices, so I assumed the worse, I guess."

"Who are these girls?" Minho whispered in my ear, his eyes not tearing from them.

I sighed and pushed Minho's face away from me. "First of all, Minho, your breath stinks." Jorge snickered at that, which made me smile. "Second, these are the girls that found me after I fell. If it wasn't for them, I'd be eaten by Cranks. Girls, these are the friends I've been telling you about."

"I'm Ellen," she smiled, reaching to shake Minho's hand, who took it with no hesitation. Minho, the ladies man.

"My name's Michelle," the girl giggled. Despite the tiredness that hazed her eyes, she kept her usual enthusiastic personality, and to my surprise, after shaking everyone's hand, she gave Minho a flirtatious wink which made him go red. "That's Serena," Michelle added, jabbing a thumb at the girl behind her, who was clearly ready to go back to bed. She gave the boys a slight wave, then ducked back into the apartment, yawning.

"Thank you so much," Newt smiled at Ellen.

"No problem," she gave them a friendly grin, before giving me a hug. "It was so nice to meet you, Maya. I hope you guys get to where you're supposed to be."

"Ellen," I mumbled, hugging her back. "Why don't you three come with us?"

"I have a job, a life here. And plus, I'm not immune," she gave me a bittersweet smile, and let Michelle squeeze the life out of me. "You have a future. I don't. You need to go and make this world a better place for the next generation."

"Hey, Maya, this might actually not be goodbye. I'd hate to ask this of you Ellen," Jorge hinted, taking a step into our conversation.

"Oh!" Ellen's eyebrows flew up when she realized what Jorge was inquiring to. "You guys need a place to stay! We have room, come in!"

Ellen grabbed a couple blankets and made makeshift beds for the boys in the living room, giving them a few of our extra apples from earlier to munch on, while Teresa came to sleep in the girls room for obvious reasons.

As I was about to go back into the bedroom with the girls after saying goodnight to the boys, someone grabbed my wrist and I turned around to see Newt's face. "Something wrong?" I whispered, and closed the girls bedroom door as not to disturb them.

"Nothing's wrong," he smiled, and looked over his shoulder at the boys who were discussing where Thomas and Brenda might be, and that was when I finally realised they were gone. I was either very tired or just very out of the loop. "Is there somewhere more private in this apartment?" Newt asked, looking back at me.

"Well there's the porch in the kitchen-"

In a matter of seconds Newt had led me onto the porch, the cold one o'clock breeze brushing against my skin, making me shiver, and Newt hold me close to his side. We stood against the cramped porches railing, looking out at the empty streets. The only noises were our heavy breaths and the sudden Crank screeches that echoed through the dark streets from far away.

Newt sighed after a few minutes and I could feel his gaze, so I turned to meet his gaze. "That was a pretty heavy sigh, dude," I chirped, smiling at him.