Scavengers.

The sensation of falling was utterly terrifying. I felt like all my insides turned to liquid and my mouth went dry as the shadows and shapes around me blended together. I didn't scream, but my mouth was wide open, trying to let out something.

Then I hit something. Sharp pain exploded through my back then branched through my body, and that's when I screamed. My body thunked against concrete, then hit something else, but my vision dissolved into black, and my mind retreated into unconsciousness.

I didn't do it. I let Newt down.

My blood-crusted eyelids fluttered open.

Sunshine blinded me, making me cry out. But my cry was nothing but a faint croak. I closed my eyes and took of deep breath, but I immediately regretting doing so. Pain radiated through my lungs, ribs and spine. It was terrible. The immense discomfort throbbed through me and I wanted desperately to return to the blissful oblivion of unconsciousness, but I knew if I did I probably wouldn't wake back up.

I kept my eyes closed as I tried to feel my surroundings without moving too much that pain shoots through my nerves. My body was laid on something soft but uneven, and my nostrils breathed in hot, stuffy air that made me want to sneeze. Sunshine filtered through my eyelids so all I could see was an orange-red shade.

"Is she still out?"

A soft, feminine voice whispered, and my eyelids flew open once again, but this time I didn't shut out the brilliance of the sun. I was confused and wanted to know where the heck I was. My eyes quickly absorbed my surroundings the best I could before having to blink multiple time to get the bright spots out of my vision. I came to the conclusion that I was laid in a roughed up car, splayed out on the back seat that sat in the middle of another trashed city.

"She's awake!" a  new voice cried, followed by hacking coughs. Shadows blocked the sun from my eyes and I squinted, trying to see the silhouettes.

Three girls looked down at me. You could barely determine their gender because of their short cut hair and their scar littered faces. The only way I was able to say they were female was because of their tight fitting tank tops that were absolutely filthy and stained with sweat.

"What the...?" I mumbled as my eyes grew adjusted blazing sun.

One girl with auburn smiled sweetly at me, her eyes glittering. "Shh, don't talk. You're gonna be fine. Just a couple scrapes and a-"

"Pretty gnarly twisted ankle!" The black haired girl beside her shouted, the sudden noise ringing my eardrums. Her chocolate skin was peppered with millions of little scars, and it seemed like a small fire flickered in her eyes.

"Shut up Michelle! She's injured!" the blonde hissed. Our eyes met and she sent me a cold stare, giving me slightly mixed messages.

Auburn hair hushed them both and shooed them away, then began to dab a wet rag against my forehead, and I groaned at the painful contact, and then I realized that a giant gash ran down the side of my forehead, and ended who knows where. "I know it hurts," the girl cooed, drawing the rag away from me. "My name's Ellen, and my friends are Michelle and Serena. And you are?"

"Maya. Where am I?" I wheezed my lips stung with dryness and I reaching up to my face to wipe a droplet of blood from the side of my mouth where a crack of my skin ran.

"Well Maya," Ellen voiced. "We found you in the giant crevice while we were passing by on our daily scavenge, and carried you along with us, and tried our best to path you up."

I blinked a couple times, staring at the rusty ceiling of the car. "How long ago was that?"

She thought for a moment her eyes strayed from me. "I'm gonna say we found you four hours ago."