Chapter 6

"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?" - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Chapter 6

"Wow," Astrid said. "This is... wow. Stormheart moved fast."

Indeed, all of Auction Island was decked out in Stormheart's insignia and aqua blue. I ascended the long flight of stairs with Astrid, Hiccup, Snotlout, Dagur, and Eret. Everyone else had decided to remain home.

"They must have been expecting us," Snotlout said.

"Of course they were expecting us," I muttered. "They've had everything planned from the beginning."

"Look!" We had finally reached the main part of the island, and Snotlout pointed to Harald standing at the base of a hill under a huge tent. "There's that snake Harald, taunting us with his new victory! I'd like to send him slithering for a hole to hide in, just like you did at Berk."

Eret coughed. "I don't think that's exactly what happened, Snotlout." He cast me a furtive glance.

Snotlout stared at me long and hard. Finally, his eyes widened in realization. "Um, maybe you should talk to him and not me. If I go over there to talk, I don't think I'd be able to hold myself back! I'm not saying I couldn't handle myself, but Hiccup's trying to get me turn over a new leaf. And I don't want to face your wrath!"

I smirked. "Good choice, buddy." I glanced at Hiccup, and a wave of uneasiness hit me. "Are you sure you trust me to do this?"

Hiccup frowned. "Why wouldn't I trust you?"

"Because Eret's right; I didn't use any force against Harald. Stormheart set him against me because she knows I won't harm him. She can use him to get to me, and through me, you."

Hiccup merely smiled at me. "I know where you stand with him, Brennda. I wouldn't expect anything less. It's unfortunate Stormheart figured this out, but that's not your fault. And if anything, I trust you because violence is not an option for you."

I nodded, soothed by his words. "Alright. Thank you." I took a deep breath and then started for Harald, who smirked as soon as he caught my eye.

"Welcome to the new Auction Island, Brennda!" he declared.

"Thanks," I said sarcastically. "Are you finally going to tell me what's going on?"

"Stormheart has assumed her rightful place as ruler. You see, her ancestors once ruled here centuries ago. When Stormheart returned with the ancestral symbol, all of Auction Island bowed to her as the leader. I'm sure many more islands in the archipelago will see the light soon enough."

"So, that's what this is about. All this chaos just to claim a land she has a right to?"

"We knew you lot would try to stop us."

My eyes narrowed. "Knew or assumed?"

"Don't tell me you haven't been running around all day getting in our way."

"Stormheart struck first! She kidnapped my friends and endangered dragons!"

Harald looked at me pointedly. "And then you assumed she was up to no good."

I clenched my teeth in frustration. He did have a point. But what were we supposed to think when she made a preemptive move? "Stop twisting everything around to suit you."