Chapter 7 | 화이팅!

The next morning dawned bleak and overcast. 

Hoseok had already arrived at the agency, and disappeared into a meeting with the senior managers. 

Hana had come in early as well, like she usually did, but she hadn't been able to focus on her work, waiting apprehensively on the outcome of their discussions. 

Namjoon showed up ten minutes later, and sat down next to her quietly. 

Neither of them knew what to do, so just kept each other company while they waited for the verdict.

As soon as the office doors opened, it was clear what decision had been made. 

Hoseok had a determined expression, and the managers behind him looked resigned. 

They both followed him back to the dormitory, where he had already packed most of his belongings into a few bags while the others were still asleep.

The younger boys woke up gradually as they made noise coming in, the older two members already dressed and sitting in the lounge, if they had gone to bed at all. They looked up as one, and shared a dismal look with Namjoon, who shook his head in defeat. 

No one had got much rest the night before, all trying to convince him to stay, or try to reconsider. After several tiring hours, Hoseok had told them to stop, and gone to bed. 

He had already contacted his parents, who would meet him at the station in Gwangju later that day. It seemed once he had set his mind to something, there wasn't any convincing him otherwise. Hoseok had decided that his place wasn't in the group, but from his pained expression, it hadn't been an easy decision, and the member's responses were weighing on him heavily. 

Hana and the other members watched helplessly as he stood in the entrance way.  

Jeongguk was crying, tears streaming down his face as he watched the group break before him. Jimin hugged the younger boy to his shoulder, the fabric of his t-shirt soon soaked, and patted his back. He was barely keeping his own grief at bay, eyes shining with unshed tears.

The others were solemn, all their arguments already exhausted. 

Taehyung had disappeared back into his bed, refusing to come out to see his older brother leave. 

"Don't be sad for too long, guys," Hoseok said suddenly, trying for a small smile. It didn't work very well; he looked tired, with too many other emotions clouding his expression, "You'll see, this is for the best, and you'll do just fine without me."

Namjoon was already shaking his head in an immediate denial. Yoongi looked away, frustrated, and small sniffles could be heard from Jeongguk in the quiet room. Jimin had an empty expression, rubbing the younger member's back in soothing circles. 

"I don't think so, Hyung," Namjoon said in a soft tone. 

A car horn could be heard outside then, signalling it was time for Hoseok to leave. 

The despondent group watched him as he got into the car, feeling defeated. 

Hoseok held up one hand in a final goodbye, as the taxi drove away. 

The early morning street was quiet once he left, the city traffic a low murmur in the distance and the members all alone in their thoughts. 

They stood there for a while, eyes fixed on the empty street, as if at any moment Hoseok would turn around, and laugh about his prank. 

It didn't seem the right time to bring it up, but everyone knew it was his birthday. 

No one went to school that day, staying together in the dorm in an introspective silence.