Chapter 7

I sat silently in the car with Jungkook, trying to run through all the possibilities I could to make up some excuse to not go with him to question Ryland.

"You look worried, princess," Jungkook said suddenly, and I could feel his burning stare on my face. "Worried I might find out something I shouldn't."

"I'm not worried about myself, Jungkook," I responded, glancing over at him as we rounded a corner. "I'm worried about you and your stupid ass. You're always quick to jump to violence, never the type to just sit and talk. Which is why I don't understand why you came and not someone reasonable like Jin."

"Don't talk like you know us, Lina," he mumbled, and I cringed away from the murderous intent in his voice. "You're still an outcast as far as I'm concerned. And my gut keeps telling me not to trust you. Until that feeling goes away, keep your mouth shut."

We pulled off to the side, and my heart dropped as I realized we were here. There was no way I could get out of this now, especially after what he had just said. He pushed open his door, and with panic coursing through my veins, I opened my door as well.

We walked up to the door of Ryland's house, Jungkook grabbing my wrist for some reason. I didn't question him, since he had done the same thing when we had met with the Chief.

He pounded on the door, and we both waited a few seconds. As I heard the locks turn, I closed my eyes and prayed Ryland wouldn't blow my cover.

The door swung open, and I opened my eyes to meet the eyes of a young woman. Fear flashed through her eyes when she saw Jungkook standing beside me but she quickly recovered. "H-How can I help you two?"

"I'm sure you know who I am, miss," Jungkook spoke, taking a step closer to this woman. "You have one chance to tell me the truth, or you'll die. Understand?"

She froze for a moment, but nodded, stepping aside to let us in. Jungkook kept his grip on my wrist, dragging me inside as we sat down on the couch. The woman sat down in a chair nearby, fidgeting nervously.

"Who are you?" Jungkook asked, letting go of my wrist just to place his hand on my knee. I glared over at him, shoving his hand off my leg. He shot me a death glare, and I gulped as he replaced his hand on my knee.

"My name is Chae. I live here with my fiancé," she answered quickly, taking note of mine and Jungkook's behavior. "He's out at work right now."

"Shame," he replied, looking down at his hand on my knee. "We had some questions to ask him regarding a case from the FBI. We heard he used to work for them some time ago."

"Y-yes that's right," Chae answered, reaching for a glass of water that was nearby and taking a sip. "He loved his job but resigned because he had a rather bad relationship with one of his fellow detectives."

This of course earned a questionable look from Jungkook. As he opened his mouth to ask another question, a loud thud from down the hall grabbed our attention and Jungkook immediately glared at Chae.

"I'll ask you one more time," he grumbled, getting to his feet and storming towards Chae. She cringed away from him as he slammed his hand down on the counter. "Where the hell is your fiancé?"

She swallowed hard, before lifting a shaky hand towards the end of the hall where the noise had come from. I was already on my feet walking down the hall. I pushed open one of the doors, and was immediately tackled almost instantly.

Ryland had the upper hand since he was a man that was much stronger than me, but I managed to knee him in the groin to get him off of me. By that time, Jungkook was already standing there. He helped me to my feet, grabbing my hand once again. He pulled a gun out of the back of his pants and pointed it at Ryland's head.

"Long as you don't move and answer my questions without smartass remarks, I might spare you," Jungkook said, watching as Ryland froze instantly. "When was the last time you were in contact with Yariel?"

"What?" Ryland questioned, glancing over at me and I shook my head slightly. "I haven't worked at the agency in years. You should know that."

Jungkook looked over at me, and I just stood there frozen. How on Earth was I gonna lie my way out of this one? Then, an idea hit me.

"Who me?" I questioned, letting my arms wrap around Jungkook's as I smirked. "I think you have me mistaken for my sister. She was an FBI agent a while back."

I could feel Jungkook was on edge from me being so close to him, but thankfully the both of them seems to buy my lie. "It might've been worth mentioning you were related to the FBI before we allowed you to join, don't you think?"

I looked over at Jungkook to see he looked really pissed off, and I wasn't sure if telling that lie was a good idea or not. "Why? I hated my sister. It's not like I'm gonna rat you out to them. We can discuss this later, we have bigger fish to fry right now, baby."

Jungkook was taken aback by the pet name for a moment before he cleared his throat and looked back at Ryland.

"You wouldn't have anything to do with trying to kill one of your old detectives, would you?" He pressed the gun harder against the back of Ryland's skull, making him tense up.

"If I did, I damn sure wouldn't tell scum like you," he said, his voice laced with venom. Jungkook laughed a bit without humor before pulling back the safety trigger on the gun.

"I didn't like your answer too much so I'm not playing mister nice guy anymore. Tell me the truth or I'm putting this bullet in the back of your head," Jungkook's tone of voice changed, sending a chill down my spine as Ryland stiffened again.

"Okay fine! You caught me! I was planning to kill the bastard but guess what? I'm not the one actually killing him," Ryland admitted, which made Jungkook sigh. "You're too late. I already got a guy on his way to Yariel's house. There's nothing you can do--"

"You think we didn't send people to Yariel's house? I just got a message from my guys saying they killed your killer. Which means now we're gonna kill you," Jungkook said, waving his phone in front of Ryland's face before shoving it back into his pocket. He then turned to hand me the gun and I stared wide-eyed at him. "Isn't that right, princess?"

"You...want me to..." I looked between the gun and the back of Ryland's head for a long moment. This was too much. I'd just helped rob a bank and now they wanted me to murder a former FBI agent?

"What's the matter? You look scared," Jungkook scoffed, pressing the gun into the palm of my hand. "You do this, and I'll put aside any suspicions I have left of you. I give you my word."

With that in mind, I quickly turned to point the gun at the back of Ryland's head, knowing once I did this there was no coming back from it. I was knee deep in this shit.

"Consider it done," I said shortly before firing the gun three times.