r. orton

A\N: The number of times I've restarted this is honestly embarrassing. As of now, I'm on attempt #11. #12. 🙄 1175 words down, maybe another 350 before I'm done and here I am battling restarting the whole thing again... ugh.. I need professional help... fuck it! This is completely unedited, I need to post it before I change my mind! 

 fuck it! This is completely unedited, I need to post it before I change my mind! 

It's just a storyline.

I find myself repeating the words in my head, a poor attempt at slowing my racing heart. Any minute now his lips will be on mine... 

A storyline he doesn't want to do.

But it does nothing to stop the sharp breaths I'm fighting to control. My skin is hypersensitive, awake and thrumming with life, humming with feelings so intense it's almost indecent.

His fingers graze the side of my face, slowly, so slowly before they slip behind my head, caught in that in-between spot just above my neck. His thumb brushes my cheek. His eyes search my features, taking in all of me looking for signs of pain or danger.

I swallow, hard, my chest heaving, my words a breathless, shaky whisper when I say, "I'm okay." I'm trying but I don't know how to keep my body from reacting to him. I've never been that good of an actor and I know it's only a matter of time before he realizes just how real this is to me.

For him, it is about the little things. He says a simple look could make all the difference in selling something, I'd never quite understood that but then he blinks and his eyes change.

His eyes are deeper now. Desperate. Hungry.

I force myself to breathe, he's so close and I can't feel my legs anymore. I can't feel my fingers or all the people and cameras around us because all I feel is him, everywhere, filling everything.

And he kisses me.

His lips are softer than anything I've ever known, it's effortlessly sweet. And then it changes.

His hand tightens around my waist, pressing me hard against him and destroying any rational thoughts in my head. It's deep. So strong. It's the kind of kiss that makes you realize oxygen is overrated.

And I know I shouldn't be enjoying this, I know it means way more to me than it does to him but the taste of him is making me crazy; he's all heat and peppermint and desire and I want more.

He breaks away, he's breathing like he's lost his mind and he's looking at me like something has broken inside him. His adam's apple bobs as he swallows and that's when I realize the lights have dimmed around the ring, we aren't on-air anymore and I wonder for how long.

Before I could speak, or even blink, he swings around. Heading up the ramp without me.

+ + +

AJ's head pokes out the door, this exhausted look in his eye as he looks back into the locker room as if he's not sure which area is safer—inside or out.