Chapter: 3

I got up before my brother returned from his shift. I got into running clothes before going on a jog. I always try to stay within the horse path when I jog. I saw two guys come out and jog on the path as well. As I was about to pass them, one stopped wanting to talk. "Um Genevieve right?" He said. "Yeah." I said nodding. The one standing next to him outstretched his hand. "Jacob." He said. I shook his hand.

"Adrian." The first one said. I smiled. "You come out here often to jog?" Jacob said. "Usually early morning. Before my brother get off." I said. "Mind if we join you?" Adrian asked. "Not at all." I replied. They jogged with me down to the other side and back. By that time, Adam was already mucking stalls out. I went home after parting with them to change into my riding clothes.

I then went out, tacked Jac up and took him to the outdoor arena. He rode perfectly and sound. I rode him over jumps and around obstacles. We stopped briefly when I spotted Philip before continuing. He brought a horse out and mounted it. Jac perked his ears. I let him go to the fence.

I dismounted opening the gate. Jac stood still as I latched the gate to the rail. I then remounted him. "If only his owner saw this." Philip said. "Eh. He loves riding on the path." I said. "How about a race?" He asked. "I don't think you know who would like that." I said. "True but Jac probably would." He said. He picked his horse up to a trot then a lope. Jac ran after his horse. We loped up to him and ran along side them.

We neared the end and turned around. "Race ya back." Philip said before he was gone. Jac got ahold and ran. I held on. Jac came to a stop sooner than Philip and his horse. I rubbed him before dismounting at the stables. I took him inside and tied him with a lead. I swapped to his halter before Adam untacked him. "He looked stellar today Gen." Philip said as he untacked his horse. I swapped for the halter on the horse and took the bridle off completely.

Philip took it from me when I handed it to him. "How long have you been a barn rat?" Philip asked. "Since Adam and his wife took my brother and I in." I said as I cleaned his horse's hooves. He got a brush and started on his coat. "Then once my brother was old enough, he took a job with the royal guard to try and get me through school. I get paid every time I show my face in the stables, I get double if I muck a stall, and triple to ride one or two horses a week." I said. "Sounds like a nice gig." Philip said.

"It's alright. It helps with groceries." I said. He looked up over me. "I need to go. I'm sorry." Philip said. He led his horse into his stall before leaving with the king. I helped Adam in the stables for the rest of the morning. At lunch my brother and I ate together with the other off duty guards. That afternoon, I filled my backpack with paints, brushes, an old cup and some bottles of water.

I then set off down the path towards the falls. I went over the fence and followed the footpath down to the edge. I slid down the embankment before sitting down on a boulder. I sketched it out before painting it. A deer came into the picture. I painted it too. As a few more creatures came out to drink, the small band of brood mares and foals came out. I added them emerging from the brush.

A stick snapped behind me. I turned to look back. Christian was sitting on the edge. I put all of my stuff away before exited. "Gen." I kept going. I grabbed a branch and pulled myself into a tree. A few seconds later Chris came into view. I don't know why I would be followed. "Gen. I was hoping to talk to you." He said as he passed by me.

One of my brushes fell. He noticed and picked it up. "Please Gen?" He looked up. "It won't take but a second." He said. I finally decided to come down. "Would you like to walk back to the falls with me?" He asked as he held the brush for me to take. I took it. We walked back for him to get his things. "Your a little scared by all of the men wanting you aren't you?" He asked.

"Not really." I said. "What if Alex offered you a deal?" He asked. "I don't know." I said. "He did ask if I could paint a family portrait of us, then I said that I would have to be in it. He agreed then asked if I knew an artist." He said. "You said you did and said that I was the artist." I said. "True. You are the best that I have seen." He said. "I don't really paint people." I said.

"It doesn't have to be perfect." He said. "Why not take a picture then paint the photograph." I said. He chuckled. "I'll do that if I get to paint your naked body on a canvas and keep it in my collection." He said. "No way." I said. "Does not have to be a full body either." He said. I raised a brow at him.

"Maybe later." He said. That's when I nodded.