Chapter: 5

I woke up ready to go for the day. I packed a lunch before getting dressed in jeans and a tee shirt. It was supposed to warm up this afternoon. I threw a light riding jacket on before grabbing my paints and sketch books. I threw my pencils and pens in too not knowing what I'll need.

The last thing I packed was water. I didn't know how hot exactly it was to get so I packed nearly a dozen. I then made the trip down to the stables. "Who are you taking for the day?" Adam asked her. "Who doesn't have anything scheduled?" I asked setting my bag down next to the post holding the whole structure up. "Jac. He's the only one that doesn't. I believe the king is coming out to ride though." Adam said.

"Could you pull Jac out?" I asked. I went into the tack room and grabbed my helmet Adam quickly tackled him up. "Boots too?" He asked. "Yup." I said. Adam straightened up. I looked towards the doorway. King Alexander came in wearing the most casual clothes I have ever seen him in. "Would you like your horse sir?" Adam asked.

"Yes please." Alex said. "How would you like him tacked up?" Adam asked as he pulled a stunning blood red bay out. "Same as Jac." Alex said. I went into the tack room getting Jac's boots and wraps. I put them on myself before getting the saddle bags. I filled them with the waters and grabbed my bag before leading Jac out. He stood still as I mounted up.

A few seconds later, Alexander and his mount were exiting

A few seconds later, Alexander and his mount were exiting. "Mind if I join you?" He asked. "I'll be gone all day." I said. "Fine by me." He said. He mounted his horse before I took the lead. It wasn't me really taking the lead, Jac knew the land better than me. Once at the gate, I was about to dismount when Alex did and opened it. He let Jac and I go first before his horse.

He closed the gate and remounted. He followed me down the path. First stop was the falls. I pulled out my sketch book making a quick sketch of Alex seeing it. In the next page it was him smiling with the falls in the background. Jac started moving. I put the sketchbook in the less full bag.

It was mostly silence. Around noon, we stopped at the cave. This was midpoint and when we should head back. I dismounted and led Jac to our favorite tree. I tied him to the lowest limb before pulling my lunch out. Alex and I split my lunch since he didn't think to bring one. Luckily I packed enough for us.

"I was wondering if you would like to join me for dinner tonight." Alex said. "Is it a fancy dinner or laid back relaxed?" I asked. "Laid back. It doesn't matter what you wear." He said. "I doubt showing up naked isn't an option." I said. He chuckled. "No. Jacob has already done that and the housekeeping staff was not happy having to clean ball sweat off one of the fancy chairs." He said. I chuckled.

"Ok. I'll think about it." I said. "If so what would you like. Something exquisite and hard to make or something simple and easy." He asked. "Let me guess your cook makes everything from scratch." I said. "Making sure every food allergy is covered and not in the food." He said. I nodded. "Depends. How does shrimp scampi sound?" I asked.

"Haven't had it in a while." He said. I smiled. "Is that what you would like for dinner?" He asked. "Yes." I answered. "Then we'll be expecting you." He said. I furrowed my brow. "The other ten were wanting to eat with us." He said. "Who's idea was it?" I asked. "Mine. I usually eat dinner with them anyway unless it's an important meeting or banquet." He said.

I nodded only. He moved closer. "I'm not trying to force you into anything. I don't want to." He said. I looked at him. "It's going to be fast paced isn't it?" I asked. He nodded. "I'm afraid so." He said. I moved closer to him. He pulled me flush against his body. We sat like that for a while. When my alarm went off I was about to stand up when he stood then pulled me to my feet.

He packed all of the trash in a bag before we untied the horses and rode back. He opened the gate again and led the way back to the stables. We dismounted about the same time and took the horses in. I tied Jac next to his stall and swapped his bridle for his halter.

I noticed Alex was having a little trouble doing the same. I went over and showed him how to loosely put the halter on before taking the bridle off. "Thank you." He said. I showed him how to take the saddle off before carrying the tack to the tack room. I put it on his horse's post before he hung the bridle up.

"I don't get to do stuff like this, this often." He said. I smiled. "Maybe we can do more together." I said. He nodded. "I would love that." He said. I let him help me with the boots before we both untacked Jac. Adam came in with an empty wheelbarrow a minute later. "I could have gotten them both for you." He said.

"We've got it." Alex told him. "I'll brush them and give them a bath while I'm at it." Adam said. "Thank you." Alex said to him. He walked with me outside. "I'll send Joshua to escort you to our private dining room. He may be a little thrilled about it." He said. I smiled. "I'm sure he will be." I said as he walked with me to the garden. "How did you two meet?" He asked.

"That is a long story probably for later." I said. "I'll ask again after dinner." He said. I nodded. "Will do." I said.