Distancing

Gio^

Gio's POV:

It's day three on no food and I'm currently walking the empty streets at 2am. I don't really know what I'm doing and where I'm going but all I know is that I couldn't be locked in the house for much longer.

He was so suffocating. The nagging and continuous self pitying. Trying to make it look like he wasn't the bad guy.

It's only been 7 months with him and I've already broken 4 bones and can't tell you how many scars I have.

I like the fresh air. The loneliness that the wind carries at night; it has a comforting feeling to it. The way the night sky covers me up like a blanket doesn't begin to explain how it's best time of my day.

-

I eventually made up my mind and decided to go to the park. Laying on the grass and looking at the stars was a nice get away.

After limping for another 20 minutes, I finally made it there and laid down.

My leg was killing me. Right before he went to bed, he had beat me pretty good but he kicked the hell out of my leg that just healed from being broke.

The grass was dewy but I couldn't pay no mind to it. The smell the engulfed me and the aroma that surrounded me as I looked at the shining sky and let a small smile spread across my face.

I felt free. I felt like I could breathe. No worries were being carried on my back. If these is what it felt like to not live in constant fear then I knew I wanted it.

-

I'm only 17 if you're wondering. I graduated early and now my dad will not let me leave my house unless it's to the store or the mailbox.

Mum died 7 months ago and it's only been us since. He likes alcohol a lot more then he used to though. There's not a day that goes by that he doesn't hit me. He would do it every so often before Mum died once he found out I was gay but it only escalated since her passing.

I know I deserve it all. He tells me all the time. I couldn't save her that day and we both know I should've been able too.

-

The smell was fading away, which made me sad but soon it was replaced with a strong cologne smell. I looked over to my left once I saw someone laying down next to me.

I looked back at the stars once I realized there was no use of getting scared. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath before putting my arms behind my head and getting lost back in my thoughts which didn't last long.

"What's a kid like you doing out here alone at night with a gnarly black eye?" The stranger, who strangely sounded familiar asked me. I rolled my eyes before sitting up.

"I'm not a kid, I'm nearly 18 and the reason I'm out and have a black eye is not any of your business." I said as I stood up.

"My bad." The stranger shrugged before standing up too. "Name's Lorenzo, if you were wondering." He said as he stared down at me. I tilted my head and looked down. I knew who he was.

"I know." I whispered. I looked back up at him with a small smile. "My name's Gio. Gio Rossi." I said as I stuck my hand out for him to shake.

He furrowed his eyebrows but took it anyways. "Nice to meet you." He said with a still not very convincing face. Maybe it was just confusion. I don't know at this point. My eye is swelling shut as I talking to this man.

Don't ask me why I'm not scared of the Mafia's leaders son. There was this unspeakable feeling that clenched my heart and made me want to stay.

"I have to go." I whispered still holding onto this mans hand. He made no attempt to let go as I said those four words so I gently let go and began my walk home.

I made sure to take the long way home. I didn't want to rush my precious time outside. God knows how long I'll be cooped up in the damn house before I can escape again.

I can't do this every night like I wish too. He just forgot to set the alarm tonight so I was able to sneak through my window.

But back to Lorenzo. I honestly don't know why I didn't freak out. There's just something about him that makes me replay our encounter in my head...