Thin Walls

Gio's POV

I woke up to the slightest noise of a constant beeping and an awful headache. The aching pain shooting down my body told me that his hatred didn't finish my misery.

I opened my eyes to be blinded by the sun piercing through the window. I quickly looked around the room in fear that I was in a hospital, but only came in contact with a bedroom makeshift into a hospital room.

The door creaked open in an agonizing speed and quickly caught my attention. The man that walked through was an unrecognizable one. The fear definitely shot through my body as it started to get hard to breathe.

"Hey there, calm down. I'm Lorenzo's father. I'm just here to talk." He pulled a chair up next to me and waved to the doctor over.

"Hey Gio, I'm just going to take the tube out of your throat for awhile, okay?" I nodded and let him work his magic. Once it was out, it most definitely wasn't easy to breathe but he did put an oxygen tube around my ears and up my nose.

He left after, which left an awkward silence between the two of us. He coughed before beginning his envious speech.

"Gio, I know you know we are involved in the most victorious mafia here in New York and I know you know that I'm the leader. But I need to ask you some question before I let my son have his way with you and let you be involved in our lives, okay?" I nodded and listened very closely.

"Lorenzo said your father beat you, correct?" I hesitantly nodded before tearing up. He awkwardly coughed before continuing. "I'm sorry son, but um- do you have any idea what your dad does for a living?" I shook my head no before speaking.

"He never spoke to me besides the constant insults. When he left he locked me in my room." He shook his head in disappoint.

"Son, your dad leads another mafia and has been planning to attack my mafia." I was shocked to say the least. I thought he was always drunk, no matter what he did.

"Gio, I know you're not involved with anything. By the way he has treated you, I know he doesn't care about anything but himself. I'm sorry for what he has done and I wish you find happiness with my son because he thinks of you highly." With that he left the room after he shook my hand and handed me some water.

"Thank you sir. If it makes you feel better, more for Lorenzo, I'm not scared of what you guys do and have done." It's true. The mafia wasn't the ideal idea of a job or great humanity but I'm no one to judge, considering that people do worse things to people.

He gave me a closed mouth smile and left with no other word.

I still had no idea where I was. All I remember was Lorenzo putting me into his car and the rest is a blur.

The doctor came back in the check up on me and give me more morphine. "Doc?" I hoarsely said.

"What happened to me?" I wanted to know the damage that happened this time.

"Son, you have 5 more broken ribs, that's why it's hard to breathe. You broke you collarbone and half of your face is horribly bruised. I have no idea if you'll have any vision left in your right eye after the swelling goes away. Lastly, you are severely malnourished. You weigh what a 10 year old should. You're body, to my estimated guess, hasn't seen water in almost a week. I need you to tell me what your father has used and done to you so I can fully examine your body, is that okay?"

I nodded before leaning up and let him begin examining while I began talking.

I began explaining how he would repeatedly kick me with his steel toed boots and punch me. I told him that a belt or glass object also came in play. I told him everything and that it went on for years with him starving me.

He documented everything and then changed my bandages. "I'm sorry this happened son but you're safe now. I promise the this mafia will protect you considering your involved with Lorenzo."

I said thanks before he left and began to feel the morphine kick in.

"Gio?" I turned my head to the door to see Lorenzo standing there with a look of unease written on his face.

"What? No baby doll?" I said with a cheeky smile. He chuckled, walking his way to the chair next to my bed.

"Sorry, baby doll, how are you feeling?" I laughed before reaching out for his hand.

"The doctor really knows how to make me feel better. You should try some of this,-" I said pointing up to the morphine bag "-it might make you smile once in awhile." He let out a big stomach laugh, gripping my hand tighter.

"I smile enough. I'm just glad you're okay." I smiled and squeezed his hand. "Thank you." I whispered "Uh but um, I just found out my father is in some other mafia that no one likes and considering I ran away. I know he will look for me even though I turn 18 next week."

"I know G, we'll figure it out. Right now you need to rest and then we will go home tomorrow, alright?"

Home. The weird concept of the word sat weird in my stomach.