Chapter One: Moving In

Hello, my name is Elizabeth Verbeck, I am seventeen years old and right now,  I am finally moving in with my father, Daniel Verbeck.

My dad is a construction worker of the local town Hallows Creek. You're probably wondering why I am moving in with my dad and where I came from. Well, my parents got divorced because they are both opposites from each other.

My mother lives in New York with my little brother and I haven't seen or talked to her in a while because she refused to converse with me after my choice of living with my father.

I stayed with my Dad's sister before making my big move to this old town so I can say my last goodbyes to my city life.

I waited by the airport doorways for my father. He finally arrived inside an old red truck and jumped out. "BEAN!" He exclaimed in excitement, rushing over to me and giving me the biggest bear hug.

I can tell people around us were looking as if we were crazy but I haven't seen my father since the divorce.

"Hey old man!" I teased but he rolled his eyes. "Old man? Not as yet, forty is still sexy!" He grinned but I just went back in for a hug. "I missed you Dad" I whispered and he whispered back to me, "I missed you too bean".

He grabbed my suitcases and helped me carry them to the truck and we were on our way.
We drove away from the airport and my new life was about to begin.

I laid my head down against the window of the truck, looking around at my new surroundings. Big pine trees surrounded the road, rivers and ponds glistened as the sunset dawned on it and little animals such as ducks and squirrels ran about freely.

It was a beautiful and quiet place; "Enjoying the view?" Dad said noticing. "Yeah it's beautiful here" I replied smiling. Dad didn't say anything else and just smiled. "Well, we are here, your new home" he said pulling up to a driveway of a bricked two story house.

The house was beautifully designed with a nice porch and at the back was a deep forest that kinda gave me the chills. I came out the truck and walked around, taking my time to examine the house. "Do you like it?" Dad said grinning at my reaction. "I should've come here a long time ago, this house is amazing" I said looking at dad smiling big.

He shakes his head, smiling and starts to take my suitcases out from the truck.

He leadeth me inside of the house which showed, a little kitchen that had light brown countertops and cabinets, a small table which stayed beside the little window and leaving the kitchen, passing the stairs, there is a furnished living room with an recliner chair as I guessed was my Dad's favorite, a family couch and a medium sized flat screen television for entertainment.

The house looked cozy inside but I was excited to see my room. Dad told me he was going to prepare a meal and said he was going to head to the store for some groceries. "Your room is straight down, taking a left.

I will be right back to make your favorite!" He said leaving the house. I can hear the tires of his truck leaving the driveway, as I made my way up the stairs

I can only dream of my favorite meal being prepared for me, it was his famous roast with beans and rice and baked potatoes and for dessert, a banana split with extra sprinkles.

I smiled entering the room, I looked around and saw ocean blue painted walls, a queen sized bed dressed in blue velvet sheets, two windows, a dresser and closet for my clothes, a desk and chair and a flatscreen television.

I hopped inside of the bed, rolling about happily. I was excited for this new life and to finally be with Dad. I took a moment getting up before I started unpacking my clothes and items.

I opened my boxes which were delivered here before I arrived and took out my laptop and clothes that needed to be hanged in the closet.

Before I could move anything else, something from out of the window caught my eye.

I saw a figure of a person, dragging what looked like a garbage bag inside of the forest that gave me goosebumps.

I kept looking to try to identify who it could possibly be but they were far away from existence.

I bit my lip and closed my window, I sat on the floor thinking of what could be inside of the garbage bags and why it was being taken inside of the forest but I shook my head.

Don't be silly Liza.. it can't possibly be what you think... I said to myself. I got up and went back to unpacking.

I finished halfway unpacking my belongings and heard the front door open which made me jump. "Bean I'm back!" I heard dad shout from down stairs.

I rushed down and saw all the brown bags filled with groceries, "Welcome back Dad! I just started unpacking my stuff and I'm beat" I said, placing my hands on my waist as if I just finished working out.

"That's good, take a rest while I prepare our meal! And remember that you also have school tomorrow."

He said while taking the grocery out one by one. "School? Why? Why can't you homeschool me?" I said pouting but Dad just looked at me straight, "I won't have much time since I work for construction Bean plus it's good to be social and be out there learning more things than just basic math and language" Dad lectures but I could only pout.

"I know you're getting used to things but this is one of them, Bridgewater High is a great school, you will enjoy your time there! Now go up and freshen yourself" Dad said, tending the kitchen while I headed back upstairs to my new room.

I wasn't used to going to school, I was always homeschooled by a private tutor with lessons online but I guess it will be great like Dad said. I laid inside my bed, as things went blurry. I had fallen asleep, feeling the cool of the sheets against my pale skin.

This was nice.