Chapter Two: New School And Friends

The sun rays shined through my window, waking up to the sound of my Dad, stomping outside my door as he exclaimed with joy, "IT'S TIME TO GET UP BEAN!" as he repeated over and over. I slammed the pillow on my face, groaning in disagreement but I surrendered to the ongoing marching band outside my door. I got up, scratching my head and looking for my phone that I forgot to put on charge last night. I threw it back on the bed, allowing it to charge while, I went to take a shower, preparing to get ready for a new day and, also a new school. 

I pondered on what my outfit would be as I walked back into the room, digging through my closet. I took out a graphic tee with Homer Simpson eating a donut which I bought from Spencers, light blue ripped jeans and white air forces 1. I grabbed my headphones and backpack which was packed with the essentials for a new typical school day. I headed downstairs and saw Dad who wore a white T shirt, jeans and boots with his construction helmet beside him. He sat at the table, looking focused, at the blueprints in front of him with a cup of coffee in his hand. I walked over to the table, taking a seat as I spoke, "I'm ready Dad", I said picking up the cup of tea, which smelled of honey and lavender. He looked up, taking a sip of his coffee, "Well, I see your style has never changed" he teased. "Homer Simpson will always be a mood, Dad. He reminds me of you sometimes." I rolled my eyes as he laughed, grabbing his helmet and coffee mug, preparing to leave. 

We drove away from the house, embracing the morning with new beginnings. We passed through the town, as I watched from the truck's passenger window, and admired the country side; cafes and restaurants, grocery stores and malls, children and teens, waiting by the bus stops, while older locals walked around on the streets, chatting with one another. Everyone here seemed friendly from what I've seen, which eased my mind of this new lifestyle. We arrived at my new school, my eyes locked upon the huge grey and blue bricked building which displayed a big rusty gold bell in the middle, almost replicating the church's bell. My dad opened my door, letting me out as he pulled me in for a hug, "Have a good day at school, Bean! Here's the key to the house. By the way, the bus will drive you along the route back home since I'm working late today. I packed you leftovers from last night for lunch too." Dad said handing me a bag with silly drawings along with the nickname, "Bean" on it. I smiled at him, hugging him back, waving him goodbye. 

I stood in front of the school, feeling intimidated, scanning my surroundings, "I'm lost.." I spoke to myself. I felt a gentle touch on my shoulder, which spooked me enough to jump. A deep voice spoked up behind me, "Do you need help?", I turned around and to my surprise it was a boy. His grey eyes looked down on me, waiting for a response with a simple smile on his face. I stuttered, backing up a bit from the obvious closeness between us, "Y-yes..please."  "Hey, my name is Damien. Welcome to Bridgewater High, you're new?" He said in a cool tone. "Yeah I am, and my name is Elizabeth", I said feeling flushed inside the cheeks. 

Damien was handsome, his hair was wild yet appeared to be soft and almost covering his grey eyes, he wore a v-neck shirt which displayed his physique, blue jeans and sneakers,  along with a guitar on his back.  From the eyes of anyone, It was an easy guess, he was a musician from what I can see. He smiled, noticing my eyes, admiring him from top to bottom, as he spoke, "Well, I can take you to the office, in exchange for something.." he said. My eyes widened, I hope this guy isn't a handsome pervert.. I was scared to reply but I did, "what's the exchange?" I said curiously. "Let me show you around school after lunch, we got free periods then.." he said, looking at me with a smile. I was relieved, as I agreed, "Sure, now show me to the office so I can get my schedule", I said letting him lead the way.

We walked inside of the school, and immediately, I felt eyes peer down on me. Everyone watched me, as they curiously wondered who the new girl was. Suddenly, my thoughts were blocked; someone shoved passed me and quickly towards Damien. I looked up offended and yelled, "Watch where you're going!", peering my eyes at a girl. Her eyes looked me top to bottom ,only to glare at me in reaction to my words as if I was the troubled one. She spoke annoyingly, "Who are you supposed to be? Not that it matters to me.. or anyone else." She grinned, while holding onto Damien's arm. I felt my blood boil, I spoke sharply back, "A person unlike you, you didn't even apologize!", I responded in anger while she held in her laugh as she bit down on her bottom lip. She wiped a tear from her eye, as if this was a comedy show for her, only to speak once again, "Apologize? You were in my way and too close to my boyfriend", she responded, flipping her golden locks of hair, as Damien rolled his eyes, trying to get a hold of his arm back from her tight clutch. "Kelly, can you just apologize and let go of my arm..", Damien sighed as he continued to fight for his arm. 

The girl had a name, and it was Kelly. She had golden locks of hair which fell, touching her back. She wore a short plaid pink dress, along with silver high heels, a silver locket necklace, resting on her neck with silver hoops in her ears; bracelets on each wrist and a Louis Vuitton pink leather handbag, which she held with grace. Her eyes were blue as tropical waters, and her lips were painted with pink sparkly lip gloss which can blind anyone from afar. To put it lightly, it was like experiencing the devil, in pink and silver. She stood tall in front of me, finally freeing Damien's hand from loss of blood flow and swayed away, clearly becoming bored of me but, before she left, she turned, glaring as she whispered, "Never mess with ME.", leaving me with her words echoing and shaking my head, annoyed from her presence. 

Damien rolled his eyes which made me laugh, "That's Kelly Roberts, my worst nightmare." Damien said. I laughed again, feeling a bit better from the previous interaction. He placed his arm around my neck; his cologne smelling of pine and sweet whiskey. He looked down at me, walking the halls, "Now let's head to the office before the first period since we already wasted time, shall we?", he said grinning. I smiled back, only nodding as I thought to myself, "I might actually like it here."

My first period class was History, long and boring. I had Math next but after lunch, which I dreaded. The bell rang, and I rushed out of class, hoping to find Damien waiting, but he wasn't anywhere in sight, I decided to occupy myself, walking to my locker, to put away unnecessary heavy books in my locker. Before arriving at my locker, I saw a girl with short red hair, her eyes appeared droopy and dark green, she leaned against the locker next to mine.  She wore a black cropped tee with a simple smile printed on the middle, a green skirt, which appeared to violate the school's prohibitions and muddy black sneakers, that clearly has not touched soap in a while. Her style was intimidating yet unbothered which I admired. I approached the lockers, turning towards her direction as I complimented, "Hey, I love your style!" I said, giving her a warm smile. Her dark green eyes, looked me up and down, while she popped her gum. "Thanks. What's your name?" She said in a low voice. 

My eyes lit up, "Elizabeth" I said, opening my locker, placing my books in and closing it. "That's cool, Liza. I'm Debbie Ford" she said opening up a little. She nicknamed me, keeping my name short for her liking. We chatted for a while, discussing simple things to get to know each other. However, the time was cut short until I heard a familiar voice from the walking crowd. 

"Elizabeth!", it was Damien, he was calling out for me. I turned around and saw him running towards me, "Hey!" I said waving him over. He took a minute to breath and was ready to take me to lunch. I picked up my bag, and turned to introduce him to Debbie; "Wait, I was talking to-.. someone?" I questioned myself as Debbie was nowhere to be seen anymore. Damien was confused and asked who and what I was talking about but I just left it alone; she probably left for lunch. We left my locker, and headed towards the school's cafeteria. As we walked, Damien kept asking me questions about the city, New York, my old home, which made me felt warm inside. Someone who was interested in getting to know me. This is new.