Chapter Three: Damien and The Forest

When Damien and I reached the cafeteria, we both sat down at a free table discussing what our future would look like. I didn't know what I wanted to be in the future, have a career in modeling like my mother? Write books? Be a painter? My mind was just filled with professions that I felt like burnt toast. I groaned in distress poking my fork at the roast my father made for me. "Are you okay?" Damien said, drinking his choco-milk and looking at me concerned. I shook my head hiding my face inside of my arms. I felt something heavy on my head, rubbing along my long hair.
His hand was patting me on the head as if I was a dog. "It's okay, you can find many professions you would want to succeed inside life in Hallows Creek. It's almost like the city but in an old fashion type of way" he said grinning. I lifted my head up smiling, "Thanks Damien, what do you want to be?" I was intrigued. Damien blushed drinking more of his choco-milk. I continued to ask and also begged for him to tell me but he wasn't budging. I guess we weren't very close to discussing things like personal life yet. We ate our lunches and were about to leave to tour the school until the same bright light I saw earlier flashed me as I felt a strong push which caused me to fall right onto the floor, making a mess of leftover potatoes and gravy smash together on my turquoise blouse.
I looked up, shaking the potatoes off of me as the gravy made a stain on my shirt, "Damn" I said underneath my breath. Who would've thought it was the same disco ball, Kelly Roberts, again to make my first day worse again. She had two people behind her which I assumed was her backup; hearing her laugh pissed me off. "What's your problem?!" I yelled, at this moment, I got everyone's attention inside of the cafeteria. Kelly looked stunned and stopped laughing, placing her hands at her sides. " I don't have a problem darling, you were just in my way. I didn't mean to push you" she said in a fake innocent tone while her backup goons giggled behind her.
"You knew I was getting up and pushed me! How stupid and fake can you be?!" I shouted in anger, pointing at my shirt which was ruined. Kelly rolled her eyes, gripping onto her sides tighter, "You don't have to be so mean, It's just a little stain, it's not the end of the world either. You just got here and you already want to be the center of attention. How pathetic" she said walking off with her goons behind her. My face was red and it felt like steam was coming out of my ears like in the cartoons.

I felt everyone's eyes on me as I looked around with my cheeks flushed in embarrassment. Damien grabbed my hand and ran out of the cafeteria, tugging me along with him. I felt tearing forming inside of my eyes, trying not to show anyone that I was going to cry. I wanted to go home but I had this last period. Damien finally stopped; we were outside of the school, standing under the huge bell on top of us. "Are you alright?" he asked, noticing I was crying. "No.. how can I be okay? Everyone thinks I want and need attention because of Kelly." I said holding back more tears from rolling down my red cheeks. Damien didn't reply and just pulled me in for a hug, the smell of cologne filled my nostrils and his arms were strong which held me down tightly to his chest.

I immediately felt warm and hugged him back, hugging him felt right and something I needed the most deeply. "Do you want to go somewhere?" he whispered inside of my ear. I nodded and followed him. We walked behind the school and across an old bridge that was kinda shaky and broken, which guided us through a bush. "Voila" Damien said as I looked around the atmosphere. Soft colored flowers brightly shine inside of the green bushes, a pond which has fishes, turtles and ducks swimming freely and a small bench that was placed underneath a shady tree. "This is my secret place, no one ever comes here" he said guiding me to the bench.

I was speechless from the beauty of this secret, it was so peaceful with only the creatures inside of the pond and trees. We sat down and laughed, "I'm sorry but this place is beautiful Damien, thank you for bringing me to your secret place but why? " I said, wiping away my tears.

Damien stared at me for a moment, took out his guitar; leaning back on the bench. He started to play a song, singing along to the tunes he made from his guitar. I laid back and listened, feeling the overwhelming of embarrassment, sadness and anger leaving my mind for that moment. "I only knew you for a day and I seem attached to you.. I don't know why." he said, moving the hair from out of his eye, giving a smile which only made my heart beat rapidly in my chest. I changed the topic, "I didn't know you could sing as well..." I said sitting down curiously wondering how he got so good. "Self-taught myself for years and that's what I see myself doing for my future" He said blushing plucking at his guitar strings. "You can be anything you want to be once, you put your mind to it Lizzy."

His advice planted inside of my head and I took a moment to relax my mind. I wanted to share what I saw last night outside and heading inside the forest. I only knew him for a day andI feel attached as well.."Damien... I got to share something with you." I said, looking him straight in his eyes. He didn't respond and sat up, waiting for me to continue what was needed to be said. "Last night, when I was unpacking my belongings...I saw something being dragged inside the forest but I couldn't see clearly. It was creepy but I didn't want to think negatively" I said playing with my fingers. Was I scared? or was I just worried for safety reasons? Damien's face lit up like a torch, "That sounds like a mystery because no one goes into the forest in this town except on hunting seasons and camping" he said thinking of what it could be. We sat there for a moment gathering each other's thoughts for what could be the worst.

It was time for me to go back home to Dad and Damien offered to walk me home. We started our journey to my house, passing by the bus stops and cafes I saw while on my way to school this morning with Dad. Little kids and other teens, our age were making their journey home or somewhere else. Damien hummed a tune, while I continued to think deeply about the topic we discussed earlier. That's when I was snapped out of my thoughts; when Damien said, "Do you want to go and check out the forest?" he said looking at me with a serious face. "The forest? me and you? in there? Is it even allowed?" I asked pausing our walk for a moment. "I mean..only for hunting and camping but we could check things out.." he exclaimed in an exciting tone. How could anyone be excited about breaking the rules?

We made our way up to my house, still discussing whether or not we should check out the forest. It could be dangerous for all we were hoping for but we might find some answers to what I saw that night. We made up our minds to just explore around to see if we could find anything unusual. We placed our bags down on the porch, walking down the hill to the forest, passing my dad's garden. We stood in front of the evergreen display with our breaths taken away by the scenery. "Are you ready?" Damien asked, reaching his hand out to me, I looked at him and blushed, holding onto his hand as we started our walk inside. This was happening.

We looked around at the empty yet forest green atmosphere, birds chirped and flew away while only so much sun shining through the trees. It was almost the end of noon. We walked through peacefully, not bothering the wilderness with our presence. Mushrooms, flowers and tree logs laid upon the ground. It felt nice, strolling through the forest with Damien but we came here for a reason. Before we could go any further, and letting go of each other's hands; we saw an old cabin which looked as if it had been abandoned for years.

We walked towards it, examining every part; It was built with wood which looked like termites ate at it, it had a porch with white fences covering the bottom from letting anything come under the house, the windows were dirty from the outside and looked as if they were dusty from the inside. The cabin creeped me out especially when it was getting dark. Dad was almost home at any moment and we needed to head back. I called out for Damien, "Hey Damien! Are you ready to go now?" I shouted out but he didn't answer.

I walked around the other side and saw him looking through a broken glass window. "Damien?" I waited for him to answer. His gaze was focused on what was inside and he looked interested in what he was seeing. I went to stand next to him until he broke his silence,"Do you see the garbage bags inside there Lizzy?" he said, crossing his arms. I looked through the window and noticed that there were black garbage bags scattered around the floor and things filled inside them. Unknown things and they were also inside of this old cabin. Someone was responsible for putting them inside of this cabin but why in here? This was a real mystery..