Chapter 17

Luke

"Well, here we are, only three doors down from your old room," Brett announced as he and Luke opened the door to his new dorm that Saturday before classes started up again. After an almost five-hour drive back from Milwaukee, Luke wasn't in the mood for anything but a peaceful nap in his lofted bed.

Not that he wasn't happy to be roommates with him, Luke secretly hoped Matt wasn't back quite yet.

Going back home wasn't as relaxing as he'd hoped, but Luke had made the best of a bad situation. Luckily, his dad's company had begun some big project, so he'd been away for a lot longer, which meant Luke hadn't had to run on eggshells the entire time.

Luke was glad he'd been able to catch up with his mom, who'd made sure to tell him how proud she was of him for how much he'd turned around after everything they'd gone through with him. It reminded him too, so Luke hardly ever left the house, not wanting to possibly run into someone if he'd grabbed groceries or when went out for a bite to eat.

Matt was in fact back at school already, and he'd been reading a book up in his loft when they'd walked in. He looked up and gave them both a small wave in greeting.

"Hey Matt, good to see you." Luke grinned as he'd introduced him to Brett. "When did you get back?"

"Heather and I got back about an hour ago, since we live only about 20 minutes away, we thought we'd carpool," Matt informed him.

"Oh, so Heathers back too, huh?" Brett nudged Luke with a smarmy smile.

Luke shot him a glare as he'd set his gym bag down by his new dresser. "Shut up and go grab my stuff out of your truck."

"Yeah, yeah, you're welcome by the way," Brett teased him. "I could've just dumped your ass out front and left you to it, but noooo!" Brett continued to tease as he set down the two bags he carried and started for the door, but Heather leaned against the doorway and blocked him in.

"Oh hey, I thought I heard you guys over here," Heather's smile practically lit up the whole room, her blonde hair almost looked angelic with how the light from their window made it glow.

So much for thinking he got over her over break...

"Well hey there yourself, and who must you be?" Brett smiled at her. When Heather introduced herself, Brett tossed a meaningful look towards Luke when she walked further into the room.

"I'll be right back with that stuff in my trunk," Brett told Luke.

"It was nice meeting you!" Heather called out as he'd walked out.

She'd turned back towards Luke. "It's great you're back already, actually. There's a couple of us that were in the lounge, and word on the street is that there's a big welcome back party at Sig Tau tonight, and that we should go."

"Really, who heard that?" Matt asked.

"Ali heard from Mandy, who's boyfriends in the frat, and they want a big turnout tonight as long as they know someone to be able to get in," Heather replied.

"I'm guessing they want a ton of girls there?"

"Right, they wouldn't want the ratio to be off, and have a bunch of guys and no girls," Luke nodded.

"I don't know, is that really such a terrible thing?" Matt raised a brow, and Heather grinned up at him, and Luke felt like he was missing something.

Later that snowy night, a small crowd had gathered outside in front of HKMC. Jenna, Eden, Matt, Heather, and Alex formed a small circle while Jared and Madison had come back before everyone else because their Track season started. They'd actually gotten back from a meet earlier that day and formed a group with the two Bryans, and Brayden. Even Ali, Lindsay and Mandy from their floor were there.