Chapter 32

Matt

His lungs were on fire, he'd felt like he'd betrayed everyone at the dorms and was an awful, selfish human being, but Matt kept running. He'd simply reacted; as soon as he'd heard the word "police," he'd shot down the stairwell, and hoped to any sort of god that'd listen that he hadn't been seen by that RA.

How could I just leave them back there? I should've stayed behind! Matt cursed himself.

He'd sprinted into the main lobby, loudly pushed the glass door, and while ignoring the startled receptionist, ran out into the night towards the others. It'd been so warm and calm that night: the frogs chirped and even the hum of the bugs added to the peaceful ambience, but the irony of it wasn't lost; everything felt like it'd gone into utter turmoil.

The group had traveled surprisingly far for how large it was. They'd already gotten almost halfway through the athletic fields, even as the mosquitos had returned with a vengeance. Jared was the first one to notice Matt running up to them.

"Dude, what's up?" Jared's blue eyes narrowed. Everyone else turned around and stared expectantly at him.

"'Suh dude," Brayden greeted him with a peace sign.

Ali frowned. "Where are the others?"

Matt had doubled over to try and catch his breath. "They...they got...busted...RA caught them." He'd heard a few gasps of shock and everyone froze.

"Shit," Schmidt muttered under his breath.

Ali eyes widened; her voice raised an octave. "Wait, they legit got caught?" She'd gasped again when all Matt could do was nod his head. She'd looked around in panic as if desperately hoping someone would offer up a solution. Everyone else had shuffled around, all at a loss for words. A few others looked around for someone to possibly step up.

Jared turned back to Matt. "Did they see you too? The RA?"

"I honestly...have no idea, I booked it as soon as they'd said...police," Matt admitted.

"You mean you didn't stay back with them?" Ali frowned at him, and Matt felt the sharp tug of guilt in his chest and his stomach dropped.

He'd inwardly cursed himself how he should've stayed behind with the others.

"Heyoo, when it comes to the police, it's every man for themselves," Schmidt pointed out. Ali turned her glare towards him, but he'd merely shrugged. "What? It's true, if it means getting out of a ticket on your record, why not?"

"It sucks, but it's true," Jared muttered. "Don't be a hero if it means getting a multi-hundred-dollar ticket."

"Not that you have to worry about not affording that," Ali shot back. Jared didn't respond.

"Let's just calm the fuck down, aight?" Brayden said, and everyone had gone quiet again.

Matt had felt as small as an ant in that moment. He'd felt a vibration in his pocket, and saw he'd gotten a few messages from Madison:

You need to come back, ASAP!

They recognized you and gave your name to the police

If you don't come back, you'll be charged with fleeing the scene!

Fucking Hell...Matt swore under his breath. He'd almost puked right there in front of everyone, his legs had also started to feel unsteady.

Matt read the messages back to everyone, and looked up from his screen to their reactions: pity, worry, annoyance, and concern.