Chapter 25

Heather

It was finally spring break, and There'd been a buzz of newfound energy all over campus ever since there'd been the first sign of snow that'd started to melt. With the weather getting warmer, so had everyone's spirits it'd seemed like.

Unfortunately, Arquez had made the critique day for their pixel project the Friday their break started, and threatened to mark people down if they weren't present. She glowered at the memory of when he'd looked at her artwork, had asked her what her major was, and stared at her when she'd informed him it was Digital Cinema and said "Huh...I don't see it."

That was encouraging...

It was also somewhat depressing that they'd had their cardboard animal project due immediately after break, then would jump right into another huge project: Fashion without Fabric. Luckily, that was a month or two away, so Heather had refused to worry about it.

For their trip, Heather had carpooled with Eden, Jenna, Ali, and Matt who'd driven them all in his mom's truck down I-94 East. They'd all lived fairly close to each other in the twin cities area: Heather only lived 20 minutes away from Matt in Prior Lake when he lived in Eagan, and Ali had grown up in Edina. Jenna admitted she'd never technically went home; the drive up to Duluth was insane with traffic on the one main highway, so she'd stayed with Eden at her place in St. Anthony Falls. They'd been inseparable just like how they usually were at UW-Stout.

"How does traffic even happen," Matt complained behind the wheel. "Like, seriously bitch? Just keep driving!"

Heather chuckled; Matt was usually mild mannered, but his inner rage definitely came out when he was driving.

Eden, Ali and Jenna were all fast asleep in their backseats, and Matt still raged about slow drivers, so Heather decided to check her phone. She'd opened to the messages of her conversation with Ryan before she'd left for the trip. Part of her was still unsure about the decision she'd made, but all she knew was that she had to talk to Luke whenever she'd get the chance. She'd remembered he'd been driving by himself from his place in Milwaukee.

Speaking of Luke, he'd just messaged the whole group that he'd checked in at the main hotel, was already at their cabin that they'd rented for three nights and sent the address.

About a half hour later, they'd all arrived and saw two cars parked off to the side; Brayden and the Bryan's had arrived already as well.

The four-bedroom cabin looked straight out of a John Deere pamphlet; it was built with dyed-orange logs with a forest-green tiled roof, and there was a giant stone chimney that'd protruded out onto the deck that'd wrapped around the whole building.

"This place looks absolutely adorable." Eden gazed out her window. "I love it already!"

"It looks like half the homes at my cabin," Matt commented as he'd parked.

Everyone grabbed their bags and suitcases and walked towards the front door.

"The important thing is that it's big enough to keep all of us, and we don't have to worry about noise complaints," Heather said. "You know Brayden and the guys are going to get absolutely shit faced every night."

"You say that like it's a bad thing." Ali smiled. "I personally plan on joining them."

"So, we're going to be dealing with 'slut you' these next couple of days?" Heather dryly replied.

Matt, Ali, and Eden all laughed, but Ali feigned an offended expression. "Excuse me, ma'am, but slut me is the best me."

"Whatever you say."