Don't Let It Make You Cry

Nova hugged her brothers as tight as she could before saying good night. The older brothers kissed her head, and she smiled. Balthazar stopped Nova on her way to the vault with a tight embrace and a peck on the forehead. The Winchester girl bade Dakota, Bobby, and Boston sweet dreams with a hug. On her way to her room, she embraced Castiel. Gabriel held his wife in his arms for a long, unwavering moment before kissing her passionately. Nova kissed him back before heading to Ashton's room to say goodnight. 

"Mama?"

"Yes, baby?"

"Will you sing me my song?"

"Of course, Little One," Nova held her son in her lap. Ashton looked up at his mother with a beaming smile. 

Slowly, Nova began to sing her son's favorite song. "Remember me, though I have to say goodbye, remember me. Don't let it make you cry. For even if I'm far away, I hold you in my heart. I sing a secret song to you each night we are apart." 

"Remember me. Though I have to travel far, remember me. Each time you hear a sad guitar, know that I am with you the only way that I can be. Until you're in my arms again, remember me," she serenaded. 

"Remember me, for soon I will be gone. Remember me, and let the love we have live on. Know that I am with you the only way that I can be. Until you're in my arms again, remember me," Nova kissed her son's forehead and smiled when she saw he was asleep. 

Gently, Nova tucked Ashton in before turning on his soft string lights and closing the door. Silently, the Winchester pattered down the hall and toward the door. Before leaving, she placed an envelope and a USB drive on the communication room table. With teary eyes, she left the bunker. 

As her 1966 Mustang drove from the one place she indeed called home, Nova reminded herself that she had to do this. She knew that she had four months ticking away, and she wasn't going to spend it cooped up in the bunker. As Nova followed the highway towards Wyoming, her mind wandered back to an old memory. 

~     ~     ~     ~     ~

"Hey, there Feathers," Nova smiled as she walked over to Balthazar. Her smile faded when she saw he was...crying. "Balthazar? What's wrong?"

He turned around with a cellphone in his hand. Balthazar looked at her with a distressed face. "I just got a call from Chuck." 

"And?"

"He had another vision," the blonde avoided Nova's gaze. "It was about you." 

"So?" 

"There's something wrong with you."

Nova chuckled dryly. "Well, no kidding, Feathers. I'm a 34-year-old single mother who happens to hunt monsters for a living. Not to mention, I married an archangel and fostered by my husband's brother. If you're looking for something else wrong with me, you're going to have to be more specific." 

Balthazar turned to face her with tears falling down his cheeks. "You're sick," he whispered. 

"What do you mean sick?" She placed a gentle hand on his arm. "Balthazar, you're scaring me. What do you mean?"

"Brain Cancer," he said, barely audible. 

Nova's hand fell from Balthazar's arm, and she backed away. "You're joking." 

The archangel shook his head. He looked up at her and bit his lip. 

"How-how long do I have?" 

Balthazar focused his gaze on the floor. 

"How long do I have, Balthazar!" she snapped.